Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
a quick update from yesterday:

"The mechanic has the computer hooked up to your car and there are no issues that can be determined. We would like for you to come in so that the mechanic can explain the DCT transmission and how it operates with servos and control module". "The clinking sound you hear is the servos that operate the transmission, must a coincidence that it started right after your clutch replacement".

Actually being a certified mechanic and working on vehicles since i was knee high makes me think that they just kind of go through the motions due to the amount of these issues they see. They should also see the service history of my vehicle being in service 4 times for the same issue in 18 months and realize that i might actually do a ton of research to familiarize myself with the transmission.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ford Mechanics, while there are a lot of them that I'm sure are very good at their job, seem to just go through the motions and most of the time assuming you, as "the customer", don't know jack from squat and feed you a bunch of lines. I'm pretty sure they have a kind of "call center" time limit that they just move on to the next work order if the computer can't identify the problem. Gone are the days of when mechanics use their eyes, ears, and their brains to correctly diagnose the problem, and most importantly LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER when they tell them this issue is ongoing, not since a certain thing happened (in your case, changed the clutch.)

Its frustrating and infuriating. It's why I do all my own work, unless there's warranty involved, then heaven forbid I even do anything to the car for fear I void the warranty.

·
FF Affiliate
30,355 Posts
a quick update from yesterday:

"The mechanic has the computer hooked up to your car and there are no issues that can be determined. We would like for you to come in so that the mechanic can explain the DCT transmission and how it operates with servos and control module". "The clinking sound you hear is the servos that operate the transmission, must a coincidence that it started right after your clutch replacement".

This has nothing to do with it going into N at times

The clicking noise I an seeing more and more in the Ford archives of complaints put in by Ford Mechanics

I am also seeing it with a few when they load my custom tune and light to moderate throttle , it isnt spk knock because I check for that so I am not sure what it is but it is getting reported much more often now

Tom

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks Tom, the clicking noise i am hearing sounds like warn splines on a half shaft. when the load on them is going in and out because you are at cruising speed.

I will kind of see what happens with what is going on and talk with my wife about possibly going your tuning route to make things better. the focus definitely isn't going anywhere soon!

·
FF Affiliate
30,355 Posts
I dont know that I can help the clicking just to be up front , I have 2 customers with the most popular strategies that with my tune have a clicking noise under light load , I have ruled out spk knock
I took there tune thats clicking with one customer and emailed it to a customer that test a lot of stuff for me they both have the same mods and strategy and it didnt click in his ,
I took the guys tune that didnt click and emailed it to the guys that was clicking and it clicked , basically they swapped tunes and his Focus still clicked , but doesnt when he goes back to stock

I need my hands on a Focus clicking, put it on the dyno where I can get under it and see where it clicking , then I can look in the trans I have apart to understand the DCT better , see whats there and whats causing it to see if I can fix it or change something

Tom

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I get a clinking/knocking sound when i reverse. I gave up trying to figure out what it is.the car runs great and it doesn't have any issues shifting so i've learned to just ignore it. I'm thinking it's just normal for these.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I just recently read their is a defect due to poor quality material in the stock IM where there are little fins or something where it meets the head. These fins degrade over time, making a clicking noise being the earliest noticeable symptom before they break off and wind up pooching the engine. The post I read pointed at early builds though, by my 2013 is ticking.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just recently read their is a defect due to poor quality material in the stock IM where there are little fins or something where it meets the head. These fins degrade over time, making a clicking noise being the earliest noticeable symptom before they break off and wind up pooching the engine. The post I read pointed at early builds though, by my 2013 is ticking.
Where did you read this?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I did some research and found these links: Last paragraph of this page.

Which led me here. The last link tells of a method to determine if the engine ticking is due to this quality of material problem.

Edit: And on second thought, I am not sure our current duratecs would suffer from this problem.

To quote the first link,
The plastic intake manifold on early versions of the 1.8 and 2.0 has a major fault due to poor-quality materials. The manifold has swirlplates mounted on a square shaft at the aperture where it mounts to the cylinder head. Early 4-cylinder Duratec engines can be ruined when the swirlplates break off and enter a cylinder. Most cases are of single swirlplates but also the shaft can wear and break. Early signs of this fault are evidenced by a ticking noise emanating from the front of the engine. This can occur as early as 25K miles, with failure typically occurring after about 90K miles.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
That Wiki page has caused more worry over the years....

MkIII doesn't use them anyways.

Wondered if that was what he found, or if it was something I hadn't heard of.

Tumble flaps can't go into a cylinder anyways, even if they were loose - too large.

NEVER seen a report on damages from them, just noises and a FEW that wore badly enough for a vacuum leak in the intake.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nevermind, the page I was going to post here contained some bad ads. Looks like Ford fixed this issue already.

Copy of the text from unposted page:

...or, the Swirl Flaps of Death! Early Duratec HE motors had problematic tumble flaps which tended to fail and dump pieces of their metal rod into the engine's intake ports, leading to disaster. Later versions of the manifold improved the design but they still wear and fail, and any presence of port flaps is a risk that all owners should understand.

As outlined in the video, you have two extremes to choose between:
1) Renew the entire inlet manifold with a replacement from Ford. You need to make sure to get the final design iteration, and you also need to upgrade the PCV components and oil separator as their design changed too.
2) Delete the flaps completely by removing them and their rod, and sealing up the actuator hole. This permanently eliminates failure risk at the expense of losing the flaps' benefits (small increase in fuel usage and emissions).

Shown in the video is a 3rd compromise option which may be possible if your rod is not too badly worn:
3) Replace any worn flaps, flip bushings and rod 180 degrees to shift wear points (can only be done once), and reinspect in the future. Ford do not sell the rod as a part, and the bushings are stupidly overpriced, so inability to reuse these mandates option #1.

Amazon link for the flap assemblies (x4): http://amzn.to/2d3dawe
Part # for the bushings for the record: Ford 1317278 (x2)

If you need to replace the manifold gaskets, the part # (individual, you need four) is Ford 1119284 ...
Amazon US: http://amzn.to/2bV8sLi | Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/2cpztel
... and the EGR inlet seal # is Ford 1119833.

Removing the intake manifold: https://youtu.be/vBxm5QjD0PY

(Using the above Amazon links helps support my channel and is appreciated!)

References & credits ~
Early yellow flap assemblies: Gamble, post #144 http://bit.ly/2cfoyzn
The Mondeo manifold saga: Robert Jenkins, http://www.robertjenkins.co.uk/mondeo/
Flaps vibration inside manifold: CamaroZ22M, https://youtu.be/tegzXoRbhiI

21 - 32 of 32 Posts