Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted to do a quick review for Tom and his tunes. I have only great things to say about him- he's a real friendly guy, very quick to respond and is generous with his advice. As I am new to the focus community and modding cars in general, I've had numerous questions regarding what to do, how things should be done and what parts I should or should not get. Thankfully, Tom has been there to answer any questions I've had.

Tom has worked with me through three tunes now, on my mostly stock car, and I've noticed three things. The first is that throttle response is vastly improved. Gear shifts are seamless now, and the car is running much better overall. Fuel economy is about the same in town, but on the highway I pulled 45mpgs on the car computer (and 43 mpg when calculated on the pump) going from Ocala to St Petersburg last weekend, going about 60 the whole way.

The car almost has an aggressive feel, and I really think Tom and his tunes are a great investment. I am very excited to see how things go this summer when I start doing actual mods to the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bone stock i could hit 37-38 at 70mph but after ive been consistently getting about 43 if I don't drive like an ass

·
FF Affiliate
30,150 Posts
I am also pulling 41-43 with mine at 60-65 mph good to see others getting that , I dont advertise my Custom Tune for MPG but a lot of people tell me they get some increase

Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
How do you find the shifts in terms of speed? I have a older one and when I first bought the car it was pretty aggressive in shifting. However as time goes on and each time I have had the "software update" to fix issues such as the TCM and the seal. It comes back more and more like a old slush box.

It use to be if i tapped the brake on a slight downhill in sport mode it would downshift, now it just slows the car down and resists downshifting. I miss the software from when my car was built in 2012, sure it use to sometimes stumble in traffic or at stale red lights but it did no worse than when I drive my mustang.

Sad that I feel like the car and transmission i bought as a compromise from a stick now resembles the exact thing I refused to buy, its almost as bad as the wifes mitsu CVT. I have lost a bit of respect for FoMoCo, in tying hardware repairs to requiring software updates.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
'Softening' the operation has been noted since 2012 as you mention, most responses they get seem to ask for the slush box feel.

Other than aftermarket tune afterwards, you're stuck with the latest version they have each time serviced.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Car and Driver reports a severe drop in performance between the 2012 and 2016 DCT Focus:

2012 Manual 0-60: 7.3
2012 DCT 0-60: 7.6
2016 DCT 0-60: 8.5

To "fix" the DCT it appears Ford sacrificed an astonishing amount of performance, though the 2012 figure is from a sedan that weighs 23 lb. less than the hatchback tested for the 2016 figure.

Will Tom's tune will bring back the 2012 DCT performance or does his magic only smooth out the shudder/chatter? From his posts it sounds like he may have to work within the pre-existing shift strategy of the TCM firmware provided by Ford.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
He's not that limited.

The tuning started out as a performance option, and trans performance as on many Automatics had a lot more effect than engine fine tuning when stock otherwise.

Shudder issues were notably reduced from the performance tuning, so an added benefit was found and more work went into tuning for that as well.

He's got some range left for personal preference as well, users more concerned about shudder don't have to accept uncomfortable shifting and performance oriented folks don't have to accept anything that slips too much.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Bone stock i could hit 37-38 at 70mph but after ive been consistently getting about 43 if I don't drive like an ass
I think I'm averaging about 25mpg. Probably has to do with my lead foot though. Tom's tune is great, best thing I've done to my car.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
'Softening' the operation has been noted since 2012 as you mention, most responses they get seem to ask for the slush box feel.

Other than aftermarket tune afterwards, you're stuck with the latest version they have each time serviced.
One would think that by introducing slippage of the clutches you would increase friction and heat. One of limitations of this transmission from my laymans understanding is heat build up...

The most noticeable feeling is almost of gear hang when it goes to shift under acceleration.. it will just kinda churn at 5500 or such for a second then shift.

When i first got it, it felt like it would actually "powershift" as fast if not faster than me when I was drag racing my mustang. This was the trade off I was willing to accept in going towards a "automatic" ( I felt like the DCT was still one foot down the stick road).

For the record, I just received the updated clutch and am currently going through the relearn procedure and observing how it comes back this time..

·
FF Affiliate
30,150 Posts
Shudder issues were notably reduced from the performance tuning, so an added benefit was found and more work went into tuning for that as well..
Maybe I am reading this wrong and please tell me if I am

When SCT first came out you could buy the 2012-2013 SCT software to write you custom tunes problem is the Trans Control Module wasnt linked to the PCM/ECU so all tuning for about 8 months was only able to tune the PCM/ECU when my Focus was tuned and over 100 dyno pulls testing and having SCT fix things the shudder was still there as bad as before , performance increased but thats all
When the TCM was linked to the PCM and I could start tuning the DCT it took me about 3 weeks playing with different things before I found a cure for my MK3
It was actual changes to the TCM that cured/helped the shudder the performance tune for the engine didnt seem to help it

Tom

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Yeah, you're reading too much into it.

I was talking about the full package tuning in that post, engine and transmission, and the initial customer interest/selling point regarding the trans was for 'snappier' shifting than stock.

People weren't buying tuning for shudder reduction to start with, that as a primary goal came along much later.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Car and Driver reports a severe drop in performance between the 2012 and 2016 DCT Focus:

2012 Manual 0-60: 7.3
2012 DCT 0-60: 7.6
2016 DCT 0-60: 8.5

To "fix" the DCT it appears Ford sacrificed an astonishing amount of performance, though the 2012 figure is from a sedan that weighs 23 lb. less than the hatchback tested for the 2016 figure.

Will Tom's tune will bring back the 2012 DCT performance or does his magic only smooth out the shudder/chatter? From his posts it sounds like he may have to work within the pre-existing shift strategy of the TCM firmware provided by Ford.
Interesting. I had a 12, now have a 16 and think the opposite.

·
FF Affiliate
30,150 Posts
Just to clarify because I misread sailors point ,I have to work with in the Ford Strategy yes , I make my own changes tho to the shift , PSI , quickness of the shift , many of the calculations to on coming/off going elements of the shift and dozens more changes to make the DCT work more like it I feel it should , I can make the Sport mode stay in gear and shift better and on and on as well as many improvements to the Engines daily driveability , performance and most say MPG

Tom

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tom,

I have had an issue of the transmission hitting neutral on the 1st to 2nd shift in left hand turns. This is something that had happened probably about 5 times in the almost 2 years i have owned the car and it is always when i am turning across traffic. As a matter of fact it is back in the dealer for this issue and a clinking noise that immediately started after my clutch replacement @ 11K miles. Have you heard of others having an issue like this or dealt with it yourself in tuning?

·
FF Affiliate
30,150 Posts
I havent but sure would like to know what they find

I do know there is a small wiring issue that has come up the last 18 months I have been watching and the number is growing

Tom

1 - 20 of 32 Posts