Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my car for 4000 in June. I needed something good on fuel and I had previously owned an ST, so I liked the focus agility but the ST is an imbalanced car. It has too much power for its FWD implementation. I was all in when I saw the rather cheap car for sale. I drive over 100 miles a day and when i babied the car I would easily get 41 - 42 MPG on my commute.

The problem with babying the DCT is that it learns bad habits. It would consistently shudder when going from 1 -2 and 2 -3. First thought that the motor mounts may have been contributing to the shudder, change the upper front and lower rear as well as the trans mount under the battery. I had unhooked the battery when I did this and for about 200 Miles, I thought I had fixed it, but as I was babying the DCT and not putting it under high load at all, the shudder came back.

The DCT is not a bad experience, I was getting used to flooring it on onramps, Giving it a high load and keeping the shudder away. But whenever I needed to pass, I would hit the gas, the revs would raise, one one-thousand, two-one thousand and then the power would come through to the wheels. I was getting good with my anticipation, but man it was not good transmission performance. I decided to try Tom's tune strictly for transmission purposes, but if I could get a little more power or mpg it was going to pay off eventually. I purchased the SCTx4 from Tom with lifetime NA tunes, and away I went. It took about a week to get it, and after a few of my PEBKAC issues that Tom called me on a Saturday night to fix, I was off and running. I was given a Base tune, which surprisingly right out of the gate helped the trans issues a lot. It had a tad more power in the mids and revv'd higher than stock which I would say from that alone helped at least 8 - 10 HP.

I totally nerded out on the logging. That stuff is really up my alley. Computers AND Cars! I am in! After I sent off the logs, I almost immediately got a reply back with an updated file that I loaded. I drove it for a day before I launched and holy wheel hop, I now had problems that I did not have before. It took me back to my ST days of cheap motor mounts and violent wheel hop making me think that I broke my car. This car has significantly more torque than it did before. I ordered an ebay special polyurethane/ aluminum cobb knockoff RMM for about $60 and.... it still hops, only faster just like my ST did when I used the same type of mount.

The transmission shifts twice as fast, literally. Now when I gas it to pass, it is one - one thousand and then power to the wheels. It feels and sounds like a different car. The exhaust (31" thrush glasspack replacing the lunchbox and muffler delete) is a little more umm...dry sounding, not raspy but dry.

The results are... definitely more power, I may go see Tom as I live real close to him and see what a dyno session says on power.

MPG went from 41 to 38. I know, I don't blame Tom, I blame the exhaust as the difference was immediate after doing it. That low warble is well worth the 3 MPG.

Transmission results are better than I thought they could be. If you are wondering if you should do a tune, I would say my experience is much like what I have read on these forums, very positive and Tom is a pleasure to work with.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is an awesome review. I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger soon. My 2013 has 120k on it and it doesn't shudder but I want to keep it that way. Some added performance would also be nice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts