Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, been lurking for a while just made an account now to pose this question.
So I recently purchased a 2016 Focus SE with the DCT. I am interested in purchasing a Tune kit for it. I plan on changing my headers soon and realize I need a tune for it. I will most likely go for Tom's Tune (sorry, I do not know how to link or add people to this conversation).
I would like to ask a few things first about these tune kits, not just Tom's alone.
1. What do they exactly?
2. Will I get more horsepower and torque?
3. What exactly does it look like? Like one of those COBB AccessPort things?
4. Do I need to keep it plugged into the car 24/7 to have the car run the way I want?
5. When I buy the tune, is there anything else I need to do to prep the car?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
1. What do they exactly?
It will help firm up the shifts with the dct. Helps get rid of any hesitation. You will notice a little more power but you'll notice that more when you add some more mods. The tune helps to take advantage of added mods.

2. Will I get more horsepower and torque?
Yes but more when you add mods like intake, exhaust and a header.

3. What exactly does it look like? Like one of those COBB AccessPort things?
Similar. just google SCT xcal4. that's what it looks like.

4. Do I need to keep it plugged into the car 24/7 to have the car run the way I want?
No. You only plug it in for data logging and loading the tune.

5. When I buy the tune, is there anything else I need to do to prep the car?
The car no, but you'll need to download a couple programs to your laptop.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Regarding car prep... You will want to get a wideband O2 setup and get it installed. It's needed for tuning idle and WOT maps. I've favored the Innovate ones over the AEM mainly on the look of the gauge. They are both quality units.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome thank you so much Jburks and psyco_1322! So will a muffler delete, snorkel and all the other plastic housing for the air filter removed, and a Mustang throttlebody show some horsepower and torque differences? Planning on purchasing OBX Headers and an AEM air filter, would you happen to know the number gains on those as well? I know I'm asking a lot and I do apologize.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Regarding car prep... You will want to get a wideband O2 setup and get it installed. It's needed for tuning idle and WOT maps. I've favored the Innovate ones over the AEM mainly on the look of the gauge. They are both quality units.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using FF Mobile
you dont need this on the mk3. it has a wide band already. I've had Tom's tune for about 3 years now and i've never had to do anything to add the tune. just plug and play.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Awesome thank you so much Jburks and psyco_1322! So will a muffler delete, snorkel and all the other plastic housing for the air filter removed, and a Mustang throttlebody show some horsepower and torque differences? Planning on purchasing OBX Headers and an AEM air filter, would you happen to know the number gains on those as well? I know I'm asking a lot and I do apologize.
Numbers are hard to say as there are not a lot of dyno runs out there. I've seen anywhere from the high 170's to the low 190's with full bolt on mods, so that is intake, exhaust, header and tune. IMO the header makes the biggest difference in HP numbers. the throttle body doesn't make any power but helps with throttle response. High flow air filter has definitely shown dyno gains of about 8WHP.

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
I would do the Tune first so you can be enjoying your Tune even stock , then as you add more NA mods you get free unlimited tune updates

Tom

·
Registered
316 Posts
Not sure what your asking ?

Tom
I travel quite a bit and encounter different grades of fuel. Especially when I travel through areas with air quality restrictions. I have been tempted to buy your tune but I am under the impression that fuel quality needs to remain constant in a tuned car. Is this true?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
The way I set my knock sensors settings you can run 91-93 octane on the same Tune with no issues , 87 would need to be a separate Tune

With Tuning with me you get Free Unlimited Custom Tune updates so just tell me what your trying to do and I will do my best to make it work with the Tune

Tom

·
Registered
275 Posts
The way I set my knock sensors settings you can run 91-93 octane on the same Tune with no issues , 87 would need to be a separate Tune

With Tuning with me you get Free Unlimited Custom Tune updates so just tell me what your trying to do and I will do my best to make it work with the Tune

Tom

what about E85 tom? any HP gains? it smells good and cheap as heck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
If only thats what your getting , just because it sais X% of E doesnt mean your getting X% and you dont know what octane fuel is being added to it so the octane out come is ??????????

If you feel you have to run E fuels then just run , I wouldnt tune for it

Tom

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Yeah, we've had LONG discussions about it here.

Those who WANT to tune and play with a tuner to load different tunes (not avail. afaik for std. Focus, different setup for ST's) have to do testing when they fuel up - a PITA.

What the pump charges you for is all you can be sure of with those variable options, since the mixture isn't regulated by law (unlike other fuels).

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My local ethanol pump has various options View attachment 240633

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Got 78% Flex Fuel at my local pump CONSISTENTLY. Go to a local station and go there with an empty tank. Once you've done this at least twice then pull the Alcohol percentage from the sensor through OBDII. Lowest I had was 67% and I never again went to that station. Best way of finding out if your local station is pumping out low grade flex fuel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
what about E85 tom? any HP gains? it smells good and cheap as heck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just use Flex Fuel for a cheap alternative to 93 but don't tune with it unless it's from a barrell like Tom has said before. Try my method above and see what your local pump is ACTUALLY putting out. If it's trash then try another station.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts