Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve had the tune for a few days now and done a few data logs and I think it’s just about perfect so I thought I’d give my first impressions review. I’ll post another one up in a couple weeks after I’ve had some extensive time with it.

Firstly, I want to thank Tom. The product he offers for the price he sells it at is unmatchable in my opinion.

I'll start from the beginning. I ordered the x4 on a Saturday, it was shipped the following Monday and delivered that Wednesday. That day I sent Tom my strategy code and unfortunately it did not exist yet so Tom immediately got on the phone with SCT to get it created. That took about 4 days. The next Monday I had my base tune waiting in my email when I woke up in the morning. I downloaded the proper software needed and got the base tune onto my device and installed on my car. It was incredibly easy to do. It was a matter of saving the base tune attachment from my email to my computer, opening up the SCT software, plugging my X4 into my computer and hitting the download custom tune button on the software. Super easy. Once you plug the X4 into your car it walks you through step by step on how to download the tune into your car.

Later that day I got in contact with Tom to set up the data logging. Tom took over my computer using TeamViewer and while on the phone with me set up the data log list. He walked me through how to use the program and what I needed to do on my data log. Now this does require plugging your laptop into the X4 while it is plugged into your car. I thought the X4 did everything but you do need your laptop for this. The data logging was easy and pretty fun to do. you do a 5 minute idle, a 5 minute cruise and then you manually shift it into 3rd gear and do a WOT run from 2000 RPM to 6000 RPM. After that you save the data log onto your computer and send it to Tom in an attachment.

Overall we did 3 data log runs and 3 total tunes before we got it right and all with in a 24 hour period. Tom was on it and was extremely helpful.

As for the tune itself, it is night and day difference. The first thing you will notice is the shifting is a million times better. Also there is a noticeable bump in low end power. My car is pretty much stock except for a drop in filter and premium gas so I was not expecting a big bump in power but it was definitely enough to notice. Over all I was very pleased with how it turned out. IMO this is how the car should have come from the factory. I have not noticed a bump in fuel economy but that is probably because my foot has gotten a little heavier. The improvement in drivability is immense and the extra power is awesome.

I'll say it again, the value of what you get with Tom's tune is crazy. The customer service is excellent, the tune is awesome and the device itself is great and very easy to use. I don’t think there is a better value out there right now. I couldn’t' be happier with what I got.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
^^^Totally agree with what you said

Had mine for a few months now, fuel economy is worse for me, but I can't tell if that is the weather or the tune. My initial impression was that the car might get better mileage on the highway at cruising speeds, but worse in the city under typical driving conditions. It's been really cold here for awhile now, so I won't be able to tell till April probably. High of 2 tomorrow actually. But one doesn't tune his car for the purpose of getting better fuel mileage. Agree that the driveability is much better, especially since I have intake and exhaust on mine as well. I too noticed a definite bump in performance. Also his customer service was very good as well. I had some data logging problems and he remained very patient with me.

Do you have a redline though? Since you are a dct you should. I have the 5 spd and redline was around 6500 with fuel cutoff being 6750. I had my car over 7000 rpms and it was still climbing. I shifted once I got close to 7200 I think. Haven't done that since as I don't feel like destroying the motor.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had him set the redline to 6750 i believe. i'm scared to go to high. I have read that 7000 is okay for the engine though so i may have him raise it to that. I also had him raise the idle just a little bit. The only thing i might see if he can do is make the shifting jsut alittle bit more aggresive when it's in "D". other wise it is perfect.

I haven't done exhaust yet but i have seen good dyno numbers from these cars when they have intake, exhaust and tune so i'm highly considering it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine is set to 7000 and I believe there are others set to 7200 for redline
The duration of "rev hang" during shifts can also be reduced resulting in a more manual feel :)

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah he has done a pretty good job of making it shift quicker. I'm loving this tune. i'll probably have him move the redline to 7000 then.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
Good to know 7K+ is safe then. Custom tuning ftw. Screw that canned tune crap.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know 7K+ is safe then. Custom tuning ftw. Screw that canned tune crap.
Totally agree, i dont know why you wouldnt go this route. You get data logging and a tune made specifically for you car, plus free updates as often as you want for the same price as a canned tune. it's a no brainer to me.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Good to hear it worked out well! I know we both did the motor mount insert recently, I can't believe how much better my car behaves with that alone!

I'll definitely have to look into Tom's tune when the funds become available. :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
"i dont know why you wouldnt go this route."
Here are a couple of reasons:
1. I am a Mac /IOS guy, and I understand these programs run off of Windows.
2. I don't have a laptop.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It would almost be worth purchasing a refurbished Windows Laptop if you're particularly interested in this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-Laptop-Windows-7-Premium-Notebook-Win-7-Core-2-Duo-4GB-160GB-WiFi-/261729265161

You can even burn it and smash it when you're finished with it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I don't think you need a laptop. I think the xcal4 can datalog and you can just upload the file to your desktop.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Another Mac user used this to run a virtual windows 7 and seemed to have success:
http://kb.parallels.com/en/4729
Their thread here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517369

Of course that means buying a copy of windows 7, which means spending $100...not ideal but its at least an option for the Mac guy [:)] You could always borrow a laptop from someone too.

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If you can afford a 2014 vehicle then you can afford to buy a $100 laptop... So please quit posting about it on the forum. I don't need off-topic e-mail updates when I'd like to hear about the tune itself, thanks.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts