Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this focus to run back and forth to work, tote the kids to school and soccer practice and to drive long highway trips. The interior is awesome with comfortable heated seats, auto climate control, nav and upgraded sound system. The perfect daily driver, or so I thought! A few weeks after owning it I was getting the shudder. I took it in and they fixed some "stuff". It was fine for about a while but still not fun to drive.

So I found all the testimonials of Tom and his tuning in hopes of having a bit more fun and making the car easier to drive. Becuase we all know the DCT has a mind of its own sometimes. So after I got my tuner and loaded up the base tune I was off. There was no turning back now, car runs like a beast. After 4 logs it was set. Takeoffs were smooth, powerband just keeps pulling all the way to redline and the mpg was great. The car was set!

I ran this tune for over two years until my transmission control module decided to go out at 83k. Which had nothing to do with the tune. I removed the tuner and towed the car to the dealer. New TCM and I was back on the road (covered under warranty, no questions asked). However, now the car is a freaking slug...NO TUNE. I could not believe it, I ran the tune for so long and got used to it so much that I just did not appreciate it. How can anyone drive it like this? Even my wife said, "What the heck is wrong with your car?!".

So I tried to load up the tune and no dice. Ford had changed something. A quick email to tom and he said my strategy was changed. Sent me a new base tune and we were back in business. Later that day I would receive another tune and within 3 days we had it all worked out again. Back to beast mode!

Now I know this is not scientific but I timed my 60-80 without the tune and it was almost half a second quicker with the tune.
No tune 6.29
Toms tune 5.89

My mods are a drop in kn filter and snorkel delete as well as an electric focus RMM. Passing power is awesome. Reminds me of my old civic. The car is fun to drive now!

My experience with Tom and his tuning has been great! It was quick and easy. I noticed a difference from the first base tune he sent all the way to the final tune.

Thanks again, Tom!

·
FF Affiliate
30,365 Posts
Hmm trying to decide if I should do suspension next or this... ugggh
It depends on what you want next , better handling or better over all driveability and performance

Tom

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you plan to keep the car like me. I would get the tune and see what else you actually need. The car is butter smooth and fun again.

I didn’t get the tune because I thought I was going to be raping mustangs. I got it to improve everyday driving, which it does so very well!

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you plan to keep the car like me. I would get the tune and see what else you actually need. The car is butter smooth and fun again.

I didn’t get the tune because I thought I was going to be raping mustangs. I got it to improve everyday driving, which it does so very well!
I used Toms tune to rape GTI hatches hahaha. Toms tune is great and Im unfortunately not running it currently. switched to a local company (you may see them in my "about me" but I wont put them on blast on here because I love the shop) and wasn't to thrilled but with Tom, even the base tune was impressive. Long story short, I'll be going back to Tom.

Tom also does the DCT tune which is night and day compared to stock.

No one shows as much attention to detail as far as a true custom tune like Tom is doing with data logging and to me that means more than anything. He actually takes the time to look at your numbers and adjusts your tune accordingly to your build (that is how it should be). Most NA tunes are canned and just generic updates unfortunately. At least IMO

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad to see that so many are happy with Tom's tune and various bolt on mods. I'm going that direction with my Focus SE. Cat back, air filter, -snorkel, 180 TS, Mustang TB, etc.

It doesn't have to be like a ST/RS but I don't want it to be a turd either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought this focus to run back and forth to work, tote the kids to school and soccer practice and to drive long highway trips. The interior is awesome with comfortable heated seats, auto climate control, nav and upgraded sound system. The perfect daily driver, or so I thought! A few weeks after owning it I was getting the shudder. I took it in and they fixed some "stuff". It was fine for about a while but still not fun to drive.

So I found all the testimonials of Tom and his tuning in hopes of having a bit more fun and making the car easier to drive. Becuase we all know the DCT has a mind of its own sometimes. So after I got my tuner and loaded up the base tune I was off. There was no turning back now, car runs like a beast. After 4 logs it was set. Takeoffs were smooth, powerband just keeps pulling all the way to redline and the mpg was great. The car was set!

I ran this tune for over two years until my transmission control module decided to go out at 83k. Which had nothing to do with the tune. I removed the tuner and towed the car to the dealer. New TCM and I was back on the road (covered under warranty, no questions asked). However, now the car is a freaking slug...NO TUNE. I could not believe it, I ran the tune for so long and got used to it so much that I just did not appreciate it. How can anyone drive it like this? Even my wife said, "What the heck is wrong with your car?!".

So I tried to load up the tune and no dice. Ford had changed something. A quick email to tom and he said my strategy was changed. Sent me a new base tune and we were back in business. Later that day I would receive another tune and within 3 days we had it all worked out again. Back to beast mode!

Now I know this is not scientific but I timed my 60-80 without the tune and it was almost half a second quicker with the tune.
No tune 6.29
Toms tune 5.89

My mods are a drop in kn filter and snorkel delete as well as an electric focus RMM. Passing power is awesome. Reminds me of my old civic. The car is fun to drive now!

My experience with Tom and his tuning has been great! It was quick and easy. I noticed a difference from the first base tune he sent all the way to the final tune.

Thanks again, Tom!
How'd you get yours to work? Im getting a device error 110D4 and I cant seem to load the tune. Did yours work right off the bat?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Glad to see that so many are happy with Tom's tune and various bolt on mods. I'm going that direction with my Focus SE. Cat back, air filter, -snorkel, 180 TS, Mustang TB, etc.

It doesn't have to be like a ST/RS but I don't want it to be a turd either.
I'll be getting the tune eventually. Atm I have the Fswerks RMM insert, Mustang TB and RS airbox and all together it's a huge difference.

·
Registered
62 Posts
All of this talk makes me want to get started with doing things to my '14 Titanium sedan.

The DCT pisses me off. The lack of power pisses me off. I'm on here to pretty much pick up an intake--but ITG or Green filter?! My indecisiveness has led to a bone stock car after 4.5 years of having it.

What's all this about the Mustang TB?

Any complaints about the Electric focus RMM?

180 degree thermostat? What's that needed for?

The only mods that I've had on my mind are the Intake, RMM because it's a huge softie and that's not fun, and maybe stealth exhaust one day. No need for suspension work because I have the handling package?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts