Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so does tom's tune on the svt turn off traction control completely? or does the button work for on/off? just wondering in case i have to put stock tune on for snow...

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
I remember reading that for most it can be turned off but there are some unlucky later cars (04) there were issues.

someone prove me wrong if I am!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not sure on Toms but FSWerks tune totally eliminates tc from the engine tune. The abs will still work tho. I could care less the car is fwd. Plus I have snow dogs.

sent from my EVO 3D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well I'll let you guys know tomorrow when I get my Xcal in the mail. Not that it matters this thing wont spin the tires unless I drop the clutch. I knew they were slow when I bought it but I didn't realize they only go 15.90's (according to Car and Driver)

sent from my EVO 3D

·
Registered
152 Posts
They are definately not 1/4 mile track cars. They are great on curvy roads though. Mine will definatley out handle my cobra in the tight twisty roads. That is what they were made for anyway. Enjoy the new tune. I hear it does make a difference. I hope to get one for mine some time.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Mine will definatley out handle my cobra in the tight twisty roads.
And just about anything you put it up against really. Im running times .1-.3 off S2000s on road course days and the sti and evo have a hard time hanging. My Sig says it all but still if you spend 7k on the car and 7k on suspension what new sti 03+ is going to be 15k or under and corner like These focuses can. The SVT is a great stock class SCCA car i dont think anything in its class can compete with it in my opinion.

Had a Red 03 svt and a silver EAP (fathers) and my dad was the only one beating me everyone else was a second or more off the pace.

·
Registered
131 Posts
2004 SVT with FSWerks tune.

T/C button doesnt seem to due anything. The light flashes like its working but the car doesnt bog. The brakes may be getting applied via ABS but I cant really tell. I'll have to test it better when the snow flies.
The tires barely spin on my car because of my sticky Dunlap Drizzera street tires and lack of power, LOL.

·
Registered
131 Posts
UPDATE- today it is raining like crazy so I tested the T/C on my 04 SVTF w a FSWerks tune. With the light off the brakes def squeeze down hard to the point the car boggs. With the light on it still tries to brake but the throttle can over power it. Randy told me he takes out the ECU aspect of it but the abs he cannot.
Stupid to have traction control on a low horsepower fwd car IMO, thanks Ford.

sent from my EVO 3D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Can you get a tune, gaining more power, WITHOUT messing with the traction control? I don't want my tires to squeel. I WANT the traction to the ground.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Of course you can.
You understand that it slows the car down right? It's not like a launch control that's used on todays supercars that keeps traction and speed optimized.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Of course you can.
You understand that it slows the car down right? It's not like a launch control that's used on todays supercars that keeps traction and speed optimized.
Really? But from what little I've gathered, it sounds like driving without tranction control is a lot more dangerous. [scratch]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Really? But from what little I've gathered, it sounds like driving without tranction control is a lot more dangerous. [scratch]
My traction control still works with the abs like normal unless I push the button. The tune just made it so the ecu doesn't pull power. So it still works very well. Besides these cars are Fwd.
When in doubt give more gas and the car will pull through.

sent from my EVO 3D

·
Registered
676 Posts
Assuming your '06 TCS system is very similar to what is on my '05 (you might have to do that research for yourself), the TCS system will pull engine power when a wheel starts to spin. Let's say you were going around a snow-covered corner and decided to floor it just as you entered the turn (bad idea), the TCS would kill that excess engine power and then your steering wheel would work more properly to help get you through that turn, whereas before (with one wildly spinning wheel) it would've been almost useless to you. [+1 for TCS]

BUT most people already know better than to do that instinctively and when they feel a wheel start to lose traction, they let off the gas some. So the system is kind of a nanny for the foolish. AND it also prevents you from say, taking off in deep snow in 2nd gear and spinning through it to get up some decent momentum [-1 for TCS] Or maintaining momentum up a snow-covered hill when a little tire slippage might normally occur [-1 for TCS].

Of course, that's MY assesment. And that's exclusively on an '05 ST. If I even want to take off quickly, the TCS has to be off.

·
Registered
373 Posts
When the Traction Control light is on, does that mean the traction control is on or off?

There have been a few times where I've taken off in the rain and my tires spun a bit (not racing) and the traction control light (which was off at the time) started blinking. WHat does that mean?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ok, when the light is solid all the time that means its off. When it flashes intermittently that means its engaging. If you manually turn it off (light solidly on) then it won't flash when the tires are spinning. It's always on and active when you start the car UNLESS you push the button.

sent from my EVO 3D

·
Registered
373 Posts
So when I want to get a faster more powerful jump off the line, I guess the obvious thing to do would be to turn off the Traction Control (TCL turns on) and then gun it?

That, plus turning off the Overdrive should give me a bit more boost too, right?

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
So when I want to get a faster more powerful jump off the line, I guess the obvious thing to do would be to turn off the Traction Control (TCL turns on) and then gun it?

That, plus turning off the Overdrive should give me a bit more boost too, right?
A little wheelspin isn't always a bad thing for a launch, you just don't want too much.

Nah, every automatic I've driven turning off OD just locks out 4th gear, or whatever the final gear is.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts