Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pardon my ignorance, but is tom's transmission rebuild made to give you shorter gears for like quarter mile driving, or longer gears for a higher top speed. also, with the installation of the quaife lsd, does that give you more stability when braking and make it easier to pick up speed again when exiting from corners, or is it made for even distibution of power for straight line launches?

·
Registered
82 Posts
i'm not sure what tom has his application specifically for, but I can tell you that a standard differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip ( along the path of least resistance). The Quaife, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel. This results in a close to ideal 50/50 power split to both drive wheels, resulting in essentially twice the grip of an ordinary differential.In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the LSD biases power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.

hope that helps!
Royce

1 - 2 of 2 Posts