Tom tune with SCT X4 - MkIII

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Jburks 
#1 ·
2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Sport Shift 6 speed
AEM CAI
Magnaflow CATBACK

Tomtune with SCT X4:
first do your research with the product you choose. Tom uses SCT and advised me to use the X4 per my vehicle specs. X4 7015
Once you receive your product, locate ECU Strategy code within the vehicle info section of the X4.
Email Tom this strategy along with the serial number of the X4 devise.
Tom will reply with links to download software and a baseline TUNE for your vehicle. The software interface is easy to use and doesn't require Tom to hold your hand through the process. But i will say, for the mac users, get windows 7. I did a parallels WIN7 machine. All drivers and software for X4 device are supported in WIN7.

My first experience with downloading TOMtune to my vehicle was an error code 110AD. I contacted SCT per Toms advise and they quickly resolved the problem. It turned out that my X4 required a newer version of firmware for the 2014 Focus. They did a team viewer session to update. I downloaded Toms tune successfully.
FYI: the X4 device will upload your factory tune and store on the device. I would make a backup on your hard drive.
I was instantly amused with the changes in vehicle performance. Even with the SE and its little 160hp engine. I mainly got this vehicle for fuel effenciency, but wanted to maximize the "fun" factor without rebuilding the engine so to speak.
After a little driving time with TOMtune, he suggests some data logging. Which he supports via team viewer. He will set up parameters log file for what he needs to optimize your tune and also give you a little tutorial of how the software works.

note: Please read how to use your X4 devise with data logging. There are many threads in this forum to get you through this.

Save data log and give it a name other than DATA or LOG. Also when sending files to TOM do not put in the subject line DATA or LOG. Do not send him any images. in fact, always start your message with your tune file name Tom has given you followed by the serial number of the X4. Then proceed with your comments. Tom will then guide you to what your every demand and needs are for your vehicle.

I must say that i am very happy with his customer support. He does have a day job and travels. So there may be delays in response time. But he gets it done.

Tom, thank you.
Happy New Year everyone!

The quickest path to FAST!
-ZUNI

See less See more
#3 ·
thanks for this! i'm getting my X4 tomorrow from Tom and really looking forward to getting started.

#4 ·
I tried searching for some threads on data logging with the X4 but couldnt find any. could you point me in the right direction?

#5 ·
here's a good start.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251860

remember to use a windows OS as drivers are only made for windows. Nothing lower than XP though.
tom will create an engine datalog file with some of the options in the list in the above thread link. you will load and use this engine datalog file to "datalog" 5 min idle, 5 min cruise, then a 2-6k WOT. all in one file.
Save and name it. Do not name it DATALOG, LOGFILE, etc. just give some name thats relevant to you. Send to Tom.
It took about 4 attempts to get my tune finalized. I have a 2014 SE btw. I love what this tune has done for this car and keeping an average 30mpg.
Have fun dude!
I can't stop!

#6 · (Edited)
That sounds awesome. i just emailed Tom my info earlier and he said my strategy code did not come up so he had to get in touch with SCT to make me one. so i'm playing the waiting game right now to get my strategy code. i'm really excited to get it going.

If you dont mined me asking, why did you do the data logging 4 different times? what were you noticing/ trying to change each time? i'm only asking so maybe i can do the same. i'm a total novice when it comes to tuning. thank you for all the good info!

#8 ·
well, first off, I'm total newbie too. but mechanically inclined. so, i described what i needed as "need faster shifting", "faster response", "faster, faster, faster"...
until i what i noticed what was night and day difference from stock tune. i'll tell you, for an SE this car is fun to drive and fun to mod. yeah, a little cash. but whatever.
oh and don't forget to update the firmware on your xcal4. seemed like i needed an unreleased version 12 to get tom's tune to be recognized by the device. get with SCT. they'll help you out same day and log into your device via team viewer.
good luck, man!

#7 ·
You datalog and send me the datalogs , I look them over and make changes to your tune , this could take 1-2 datalogs or 8-10 datalogs to get everything safe and making the best performance and safe as well as things you may liked changes for the driveability things like quicker shift , higher idle , lower fans etc

Tom

#9 ·
Cool thanks for the tip. i went on SCT site and my tuner has the latest update available. i'll see about contacting them to see if it needs a different one. I agree it's fun to mod. i'm starting to really get into it. after the tune, i'm thinking full exhaust and then coilovers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.