Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok I have been fighting this for the last 3 months now... slowly eliminating all things that could be the issue.

This all started when I drove through a rather large puddle (not hydrolock large just a big splash) and sent a mist of water into the intake, I disconnected the intake after and saw that a mist of water was sent in.

The problem:
Under partial or even full throttle leaving a stop light in 1st gear its all good then about 75ft after starting to roll I will feel a massive drop in power accompanied with a POP POP POP out the exhaust almost like shitloads of fuel are going into the exhaust. it clears itself up when I lift and then re-apply the throttle. it only happens when its withing 10 minutes of starting the engine no matter if its cold or hot. On cold starts I get a pretty good deal of surging if I get on it when the engine is still cold. On a cold start the idle is a lil loopy but not bad.

I also since then have gotten much more popping off throttle.

I did a few things that helped reduce it but not eliminate it:
Replaced the forward O2 (36K miles)
Replaced the TPS (36K miles)
Replaced the Fuel Filter (36K miles)
Replaced Plugs (Iridiums) (36K miles)
New-er plug wires (9mm Ford Racing) installed about 5 months ago.
Datalogged and sent it to Wayne who sent me a new tune that somewhat reduced it... you could tell it was a bit different at idle as the old tune ran much more rich at idle than this one (the nose AFR meter ;))
I cleaned the MAF with electric motor cleaner and it looked intact.
I removed the AEM CAI and put in the stock SVT airbox w/ new K&N filter.

I am about to go and attack the IAC but dont want to unless I need to ... I dont see why the IAC sould affect on throttle action.

You think its still a bad tune? or possibly something else wrong. The car eats no oil, on highway trips I still get 35Mpg, the plugs are clean, it throws no codes, HELP! ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
I dont like those plugs, I would get the autolites if I was you. Do you have any loss in power? Did you run a compression check yet? if not thats what I would do next

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Compression check came out fine when a friend and I did it a while ago (shortly after). Other than the random poping and power loss when it the mis happens, there is no powerloss I can feel, the car feels as strong as ever. I had the motorcraft coppers in there and autolites before them, and the Denso Iridiums dont feel any different than the coppers/autolites.

wayne wants me to datalog again and he is going to check it to see if anything is obvious.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yea I would datalog it. I see you have the X-cal 2, do you have a laptop? I wonder if its a timming issue. After you datalog it post the file.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here it is, I am also sending it to Wayne. The event only happened once and only small becuase the car was still well warmed up (happens less when warmed up.) It happens in the middle of the acceleration you see there in 1st gear.

Edit - Stupid Focus Fanaitcs doesnt alow the attachment of .zip's... I will have to upload and link it later.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
I would take a hard look at the MAF if it had water go through it in a lot of cases that kills them , is there some one close you can swap one for a sec to test it

Then check the TPS , they for sure dont like water , Both these can be tested with your scan tool

Tom

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may pick up a new MAF if the tune doesnt touch it, I also thought it could be that, its the only sensor part of the AFR system I havent really touched.

the TPS was the first thing along with the O2 that was changed.

thanks tom, I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Either the TPS or MAF

I "washed" my MAF and when I floored it it would sound like I was running on two cylinder and go no where.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I got money on the TPS.

A $30 part vrs a new MAF. I had the same thing happen to me with a long tube cai when I first bought the car. I just cleaned the MAF with carb cleaner, put on a new TPS, ran like a champ.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
TPS was already changed a couple months ago when this started as I stated in the original post.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Aww, yea I see that now. Crap, that would make for a easy fix if it was. Well, I hope the Tune fixes it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MAF's go for like 80$ dont they? thats gunna hurt if the maf is toast. .. I have watched the MAF Volts and # Air/Min readings off the SCT and they seem stable and to scale predictably... I would expect drop offs or lots of noise to happen if the maf was damaged or bad :(

·
Registered
210 Posts
$80 bucks? They wanted over $140 at the parts store, and the Stealership wanted almost $200!!! This was 3 years ago though, I'm not sur ehow much they are now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, The problem your'e describing sounds like a classic plug leads problem, they can work fine until you put them under load, that's when they start breaking down. The water was probably the last straw, they get brittle and crack allowing in moisture. Take them off and do a resistence test, the values are in the Haynes manual. Other stuff could be; a detached vaccum hose or sensor wire (the water splash may have had enough force to rip the wires out of a multiplug) and have you checked the injectors? if water got far enough up the airway to hit the injectors you could have contamination around the metering nozzle.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
I wouldnt go just changing parts , you have the ability to log and scann , thats what it is for , Find the problem then change parts

Close the gap on your plugs if the problem goes away change them , log the TPS is it shows to be working dont change it , log/watch the MAF if it shows to be working correct dont change it

Tom

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really dont know why this was moved... it pertains to a SVT specific issue I am seeing under power.

sometimes the mod's here are a mystery to me ;)

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Well, here's a shot in the dark...

Cam Position Sensor... mine went bad a few months back.. it was so bad I couldn't hardly drive it.

But I agree with Tom try datalogging TPS, Spark and stuff like MAF counts and Open loop switch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts