Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
First let me say I worked with Focusfreak127 on the installation of Tom's DIY Turbo Kit. All of the parts in this kit are top notch and work like they are supposed to. This kit had the first, second generation SPA manifold and Tom told us up front when we picked it up, he was concerned about possible fitment problems with some of the piping but he would take care of them. There was one and we work with Tom to have it corrected. All of parts now are made like the ones on Focusfreak127's car and they fit like a glove. As far as the parts we had to purchase Tom pointed us in the right direction with plenty of choices to keep cost under control and still get quality parts that worked together.
This was our first turbo installation and Tom was always available either by phone or email to answer questions and give advice. All of the initial tuning was done by e-mail datalogs without him ever seeing the car until we got it to his shop for tune work on his dyno. Even in the middle of the initial tuning, the original clutch gave up. (The car has nearly 80k on it and was abused before we got) Again Tom had several suggestion for the clutch as well as pointers to help us get it changed out.
Like focusfreak127 said, we are extremely pleased with this set up and the results on the dyno speak for themselves. A big thanks to Tom for his support on this project. If your thinking turbo, this is the way to go for quality parts and support along the way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I need it! My car was equipped with a custom turbo kit, however the tuning with the TOM is missing, I'm already driving the car at 1 year with 8-9 psi. My car is DCT. Without any melody setting it is not 100% but it has improved compared to the stock. These powers of 259 cvs is the wheel? I urgently need the tuning because the turbo power does not always come and the DCT is very slow and distracts a lot in the first gear!
save me TOM! I have the SCT to transfer the melody. I'm in Brazil!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello! Could the Transmission Software (TCM) be limiting engine performance with the custom turbo? I feel that my car has strength, but I notice a great effort to move and I see that the car begins to die in high rotation. The rpm increases very fast but is not passed to the wheel, there is a large delay. Tom, let's see how far DCT takes it, my car will be a torque limit test! Even with these limitations, an original focus 2.0 could not keep pace.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It sound like the clutches are either slipping or the TCM is not releasing quickly enough.

I am having the same issue with my DCT. I am sure there is no contaminants on the clutches and the clutch spring clamping force has not been exceeded. I feel it entirely software related.

I am working with Tom to improve the gear changing speeds. I want the TCM to change gear as soon as I press the select shift buttons and release the clutches quickly under WOT. During calm driving the TCM can slow changes, I don't mind.

I don't know yet if this is possible. I suspect I am expecting too much out of the syatem and a tune.

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Hello! Could the Transmission Software (TCM) be limiting engine performance with the custom turbo? I feel that my car has strength, but I notice a great effort to move and I see that the car begins to die in high rotation. The rpm increases very fast but is not passed to the wheel, there is a large delay. Tom, let's see how far DCT takes it, my car will be a torque limit test! Even with these limitations, an original focus 2.0 could not keep pace.
You dont have a Tune on your Focus , with boost you have to add a LOT of Fuel

Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Let's wait! This can be the impression! The car is not being fed properly! is always working so thin because of the delay! I look forward to tuning! We need this!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tom,

Do you mind telling us what the HP/TQ numbers are on the DCT's with the full turbo kit that are at 11psi?

Thanks.
Hello!! I'm doing the tuning with Tom, when I finish I'll pass the car on the dynamometer and post here video and photo. Tom is waiting for the SCT to make a change to the base file in order to change it. I'll pass the car before tuning in order to make a more accurate comparison. And let's see how many psi the transmission can withstand. The car is 9psi and I want to get out with 11psi after tuning.

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Let's wait! This can be the impression! The car is not being fed properly! is always working so thin because of the delay! I look forward to tuning! We need this!
You have got to get a tune in there , your lucky your engine is still running

Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm having a lot of luck! because it has been more than a year that I have the turbo kit customized without problems and with 9 psi! of course not having 100% of the performance generated by the turbo but already a huge difference of focus 2.0 dct stock. In the dynamometer I passed gave 169whp and 22kg of torque on the wheel.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts