Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, long story short, a "works bomb" was exploded under my rear bumper. Now I have "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner splattered all over my rear bumper, left quarter panel, and the rear sedan glass. I spent 4 hours yesterday washing it, and took it to the car wash three times. Also, the plastic on the SAP diffuser is [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)], and the chrome on the tailpipe in all oxidized on the bottom. What can I do to fix this?

Is my best bet to have a new tip for the exhaust, and have the paint buffed and re-cleared? What about the rear window?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
I'd check around at the 'good' car detailing places and see what they say.... that's a tough one..... toilet bowl cleaner huh? [confused]

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know what a "works bomb" is. Take a bunch of "the Works" brand toiletbowl cleaner, put it in a 2 liter pop bottle, roll up some aluminum foil, put that in teh bottle, screw the cap on, shake, and RUN. It explodes, with a sound like a gunshot. The idiots put one under my bumper.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you need new friends...
Never heard of a "works bomb", but I have an ugly suspicion about the ingredients. Got a bottle handy? I expect it contains bleach, and to bung up your rear window it must contain something else even worse. Sheet! <http://www.theworkscleans.com/toilet.htm> It doesn't list the ingredients, but it "works on hard water stains" . I think that anything that will clean lime will etch glass given enough time. Your window and your chrome may be toast. I don't know what your paint looks like, the clearcoat may have saved it enough that it can be buffed.
How to fix it all??? Hand your "buddies" the bill, maybe they'll learn something from it.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm suddenly getting more and more angry. Whats worse is, in an effort to clean it up, I smeared it all over the glass and bumper. Is this all a total write-off.

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
Post up some pics, and get some new friends.

I know when I was in funeral service, something that was often recommended as an inexpensive method to clean up headstones (granite specifically) was TidyBowl...very acidic but not so caustic as to etch the polish on the stone itself. Can't say for sure how it's going to react to paint; I'm hoping you didn't leave it on for very long.

·
Registered
254 Posts
hey man - the first thing that came to mind when I read the initial post was crap, this is probably going to need new paint. What a s#!tty deal dude. I would imagine that stuff could even chemically melt plastic, is the bumper cover warped at all?

If you know the people, I'd try and get after them cause there is a real possibility that this whole deal could run into some cash. I'm pissed off for ya!![mad]

Aside here ---- can't help it, it's a fault of mine to correct stuff like this. It's gluteus maximus....... god, I know, I'm diseased, like I said, I can't help small stuff like that [:p] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
get pics, i can probably help walk you through what you need to do. if it's able to be fixed, i'd be willing to work the paint over and get it back to new. you may be close enough to me.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Man if there is that much damage, I'd seriously start talking compensation to those coworkers. This shouldn't come out of your wallet......

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
onebluemcm said:
Aside here ---- can't help it, it's a fault of mine to correct stuff like this. It's gluteus maximus....... god, I know, I'm diseased, like I said, I can't help small stuff like that [:p] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]
Thanks for the correction!
Yes...I too am diseased in the same way.
Word (spell check) didn't help at all for that term.

babyface;
This is getting bad. Time to get some compensation from those guys...friends or not.
Frankly, good friends shouldn't have to go around damaging each others' cars. [mad]

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, i know what you mean. I'm gonna get me some money, or I'm gonna start knocking heads.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yeah, I'd go after those people. And putting some sort of a crude bomb under your car, should there not be something illegal about that? Those f---ers should pay!

EDIT: OK so I read that a "works bomb" isn't a real bomb, but still, legally you should go after those people

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
i see it as being the same as egging a car.

·
Registered
613 Posts
but eggs are easier to clean up
if your' vehicle is waxed and if you do it fast enough
it won't hurt your' car even if it sat over night
(it happend to me litterally weeks after I bought my ranger)

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, out of curiousity, I went to the barn, tried the buffer, and polishing compound. By God, it works, the paint looks much better, and the glass is all clear again, even the spot on the taillight is fine. The textured plastic from the SAP diffuser is still [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)], and the chrome on the tailpipe is [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]. I'm gonna take it to the dealer, have them buff it again, just for good measure, and refinish the chrome/replace it, and replace the diffuser insert. Should run about $200.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Hope THEY are paying for it... have they said anything to you? Any appologies????

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
THEY are gonna pay for it. If I have to talk to my coach, have him say something, or maybe even impound their cars, heh.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts