Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so for most Canadians and some USA residents, winter is in full bloom. Because of this there is obviously salt everywhere.

Well I was told two different things and want to see your opinion on this:

1) It is better to wash the salt off as much as possible.

2) It is better to leave some salt and wash less because the salt accumulates on top of the existing salt therefore not being exposed to the paint as much.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
465 Posts
i dont think i would want the salt siting on my car eating the paint away and corroding everything, i think i would wash it off every chance i had

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
^^^ im with him... i dont leave those white salt marks on my car ever....

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I thought too, less salt = better.
Thanks for the input guys.

·
Busy Monkey
4,461 Posts
I agree, wash it off every chance you get.
If you let it sit there, the salt will be contacting your car 100% of the time. If you wash it off often then it won't have as much of a chance to corrode

·
Registered
231 Posts
Since I finally found a gentle drive through carwash here, I try to run it through atleast once a week, and maintain wheels and body with a quick detailer every other day in between. more salt=horrible lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it's going to snow the next day or the day after I wouldn't bother as the water in contact with the salt speeds up the rusting process. I don't leave the salt on my car either but I never wash mine if it will snow again shortly. As you know in Toronto they will dump even more salt on the road when snows.

What you should really do is go to Rust Check or Crown and get the car rust proofed.

·
Registered
784 Posts
If it's going to snow the next day or the day after I wouldn't bother as the water in contact with the salt is what causes it to rust. I don't leave the salt on my car either but I never wash mine if it will snow again shortly. As you know in Toronto they will dump even more salt on the road.
I agree with you on this. Simply having the salt on the car is not a huge issue. It's the combination of salt and moisture that causes the corrosion. I know there is moisture in the air but if you wash the car in very cold climates, the water freezes to the surface and underbody, and salt is even more attracted to it. I've found that if you spray down the underbody before winter with a good penetrating oil such as TC11 that will take care of any further corrosion from salt. Make sure to use a good sealant on the paint before the winter months and that will protect it from salt.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually got a Krown undercoating done when I first got the car, so I'm good in the area. And I've been washing it about once a week or so, I guess I'll keep up the trend :)

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
If it's above 25 degree's I wash it often, or atleast just spreay it off once or twice a week depending how bad it is. Now, it's 7 out and thats just to cold to wash the car, doors and locks freeze.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
i washed mine the other day and my locks froze

1 - 11 of 11 Posts