Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and need a push in a direction.I enjoy my car but want more power.I have to make the decision to go turbo kit or be happy without and just add a little here and there.I don't use my car as an everyday driver.I want to autocross it a little and some track time too.I have other cars that are much faster than the Focus,but something about this car won't let me leave it alone.Do I pull the trigger on a Precision Turbo kit (intercooled)for $3k or wait for a Focussport intercooled kit?I am afraid once I do the turbo I will have to step up to a good clutch and limited slip diff. as well. Has anyone done just the turbo and been happy?225hp at the wheels sounds just about right for this car.Given some restraint,will the engine take the increase in power for long?I am on the fence about this and need a nudge...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I REMEMBER reading about the focus clutch going on j/r sc and those aren't pushing that much power. i've spent 3500 on my car and have gained like maybe,myabe 15whp. if i could do it all over again i would go fi, hands down best bang for the buck!! just get it tune right and you sould be good to go

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have looked into the various sc's and do not believe they are the way to go with the Focus:they are mounted in an area that is tight to work in and most applications offer no intercooling or liquid only.I know how easy it is to get deep into a car without a lot of gain as I have been there with Mustangs.I know the best way is to jump in with forced induction as dollar for dollar you will be much happier.My dilemma is whether this is the route to go for this car and my intended use.Do these hold up to "spirited" driving?I am not looking at it in an invertment return scenario other than the fun factor.Should I spend $3k on a $4k car or save the money and get into a better platform(svt)?Am I looking at a future of broken axle shafts and transaxles?I do not intend to drag the car,but I am concerned about adding 100hp to this car if it will self destruct.Like I have stated,I am new to this car platform for performance mods.For what I have into this car it has been quite enjoyable.

·
Registered
789 Posts
it won't self destruct. from what i've read on most turbo applications that have an intercooler (Roush stage 2, precision turbo) you can run 10 lbs of boost safely on a stock engine and get roughly 100 hp, give or take a little, without any other mods. i would also suggest getting a turbo back exhaust, and cams and gears. if you want to run any higher of a boost i would suggest upgrading the internal, i.e. the rods, pistons, piston rings, valves, etc. this is what i would do since i just go to the track but since you do autocross as well as track then you might consider the supercharger because with the supercharger the power is there as soon as you hit the gas and with a turbo you have to wait for it to spool up and build the pressure before the power is available. just my .02 but whatever you do, happy modding.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
focussport turbo is ONLY FOR THE DURATEC which you do not have.

the cars not a civic so don't worry about braking axels. if you plan on adding alot of power you might as well put in clutch, lighter flywheel, LSD, and depending on the mileage you might as well replace the synchros while you're in there.not needed but DEFINATELY reccomended especially if you plan on tracking/ auto-x'ing the car.
for a turbo you should run a 3" exhaust. you should also put on a ported head, cams, and camgears as well. but it's not needed although it will help.

also a J&S Safeguard is pretty much a must if you don't want to blow the engine. stock internals can take 12psi pretty well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a '00 Zetec 2.0 engine.I thought the Duratec was a 2.3L in the later years.I know there were two different motors in '00,one was the split port sohc engine(P code) and mine, the dohc Zetec engine(3 code).From what I have learned,the Zetec is the motor to have.The turbo kits from Precision only fit the Zetec 2.0L.I am not 100% sure about the focussport kit but there website says 2.0L Zetec in '00 will fit.Is the Duratec just another name for the earlier Zetec?Is a J&S safeguard some sort of rev/boost limiter?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
breakaway said:
I have a '00 Zetec 2.0 engine.I thought the Duratec was a 2.3L in the later years.I know there were two different motors in '00,one was the split port sohc engine(P code) and mine, the dohc Zetec engine(3 code).From what I have learned,the Zetec is the motor to have.The turbo kits from Precision only fit the Zetec 2.0L.I am not 100% sure about the focussport kit but there website says 2.0L Zetec in '00 will fit.Is the Duratec just another name for the earlier Zetec?Is a J&S safeguard some sort of rev/boost limiter?
no the duratec in the RS focus over in europe is the same as a zetec. in 03/04 some of the zx3's had 2.3L duratecs. in 05/06 all foci had either 2.0L or 2.3L duratecs [;)]

the J&S Safeguard is a knock sensor that tells you if you're having detonation in one of your cylinders. theres actually a pretty good discussion on it over at FJ right now in the FI section. it will save your engine if you plan on running srock internals.

·
Registered
272 Posts
For auto-x, your best bet is SC and invest in a Quaife, 4.06 gears and a better clutch, IMHO. It all, of course, depends on how deep your pockets are..
Jackson Racing makes a reasonable amount of power without having to do a bottom up rebuild, and judging by the FI posts have held up fairly well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts