Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be careful, I was using 13 smd LEDs in my sidelights/corner lights or whatever you call them and the heat, being so close to the glass, has damaged the glass/Perspex. I have a rainbow effect right above and to the side of them which can be clearly seen. Just keep an eye on it. I've just gone back to xenon effect w5w bulbs.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I've never heard of LEDs producing heat. And to the point of damaging glass? Are you sure that rainbow isn't being produced by a prizm effect somewhere?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try and get one.

I've never heard of LEDs producing heat. And to the point of damaging glass? Are you sure that rainbow isn't being produced by a prizm effect somewhere?
After an hours drive with just the LEDs on, and the exterior 'glass' was physically hot to touch, not just warm but hot. I think the small area that the bulbs go in contains the heat.

The rainbow effect is only over the LEDs aswell and on both headlights, had a look at a few others and I've not seen a standard car with this. Even emailed ford saying it was a defect but I'm yet to hear back from them..

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm a little confused here too! I thought that LED's gave off very little heat.
In fact, I remember listening to the radio once while in Alberta about the problems that they were having with LED traffic lights not being able to burn off any snow due to the low heat output.

Something just doesn't seem right on this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a little confused here too! I thought that LED's gave off very little heat.
In fact, I remember listening to the radio once while in Alberta about the problems that they were having with LED traffic lights not being able to burn off any snow due to the low heat output.

Something just doesn't seem right on this.
I was under the same impression, low heat, low power consumption...

Wasn't a cheap set either, might try another pair with less LEDs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The LED's don't put out heat, but the resistors they use to regulate current to the LED's put out a ton of heat if they are running a fair bit of current through them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The newer high powered SMD LEDs do put out a good amount of heat. I hate 900 lumen flashlights that get pretty hot, and they are regulated at just a few milliamperes. So that's why I am running a SMD setup with a "heat sink". :) Just a few dollars on eBay. No issues at all, and they do plenty good for brightness.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Never trust bulbs on eBay, never, no matter what! This is what happens. High heat with LED? yeah no.

Posted via iPhone 4S

·
Registered
129 Posts
there is rainbow effect on top of my headlight ever since the first day I bought the car, it's already there, not because of the heat of anything

·
Registered
314 Posts
Never trust bulbs on eBay, never, no matter what! This is what happens. High heat with LED? yeah no.

Posted via iPhone 4S
I have purchased plenty of LED bulbs and other stuff on ebay, I have NEVER had a problem. You just need to know what you are looking at. LEDs are not suppose to get hot, I want to say you bought crap or the wrong bulb.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Posted via iPhone 4S
As stated before, High power LEDs DO produce heat. Many modern Lithium powered flashlights with SMD LEDs produce a large amount of it while still being much more efficient than an incandescent equivalent. Also, using a resistor to step down the 12v to 5v produces heat

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
Never had a prob with LED's from Ebay, cept for the DRL and not being sealed correctly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts