Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a new SE hatch, manual. The only options I really need are the sport package and 201A to get cruise control. However, I drove an SEL sedan as a rental and it had SYNC. I liked the driver info center showing MPG, miles to empty, etc, and the ability to enable/disable certain things.

I have the dealer hunting down 203A and sport equipped hatchbacks on account of it.

My question...for those of you who DID NOT get the MF/SYNC package on your SE, what does the plain jane driver info center display?

Does it also have a compass, outside temp, MPG, miles to empty, ability to disable the traction control, etc., or is this only with the SYNC package?

What does the stereo display show? Just basic info like station...or does it read out song info as well?

I would just go check this out, but it seems like the dealer's gaggle of Foci all have SYNC. I've searched here, but can't find a thread that addresses this.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have an SE with SYNC. I can safely say with 100% certainty that I would have totally regretted getting a 2012 without SYNC. It is one of the best features of the car IMO.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a bare 201a and yes, you have outside temp, compass, mpg, dist to E, and all the other infos but on an uglier screen.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My question...for those of you who DID NOT get the MF/SYNC package on your SE, what does the plain jane driver info center display?

Does it also have a compass, outside temp, MPG, miles to empty, ability to disable the traction control, etc., or is this only with the SYNC package?
Yes. Like thejsx mentioned, it has all these functions but on a worse screen

What does the stereo display show? Just basic info like station...or does it read out song info as well?
clock when system is Off, station info when On.
Just like you, the only options I really needed were the cruise control and Sports Package and that's all I ended up getting. I actually do regret not getting the sync package with the bluetooth and USB and stuff. I use my phone a lot in the car and since I don't have bluetooth in my car, I'll have to connect it via a cable to the Aux port in the glove box.
Secondly, I'd have loved to have USB connectivity because the audio sounds much nicer via USB than Aux and also because I would've been able to control USB audio (next/pause/play) via steering controls.
Thirdly, the Sync package has a better screen and it looks waaay better than the one without.
I do regret not getting the Sync package, but I was in a hurry to get the car and the dealer didn't have any that fit my needs :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, ya'll. I was wondering about that. Seems like everyone is getting Sync anyway. The only non-Sync cars I remember seeing at the dealer I've been..dealing...with have been the S sedans. The only reason I wanted the Sync was if the driver cluster screen didn't show those things otherwise. I really liked the MPG readout and miles-to-empty was handy on the highway to keep a ballpark of where I needed to plan a stop for fuel.

I've already got the deck stacked against me wanting a manual transmission in Sterling Gray and NOT wanting a sunroof/crazy leather/winter pkg/etc. so I'm wondering if ditching 203A for 201A and sport might make it easier...not to mention a bit less on cost.

The rental I had...it took 45 minutes to change the radio station. So long as it has an AUX port, I'm good. I have a Bluetooth phone, but it doesn't connect well to anything. A regular stereo is fine with me, plus the less-fancy but same info in the cluster screen, lol.

·
Registered
166 Posts
KimberChick,

If memory serves me correct you stated in another thread that you have a dumb phone much the same as me. My phone works very well with the Sync and had zero issues getting it all up and running. I am one that does not care for all these gadgets but the car we found at the dealer had the sync as well as the 203A package I think it was and we find ourselves using it more than we had thought. The two phones we are running on ours is the LG Octane and LG Env3. What I don't care for and I don't know if it is sync or the phone but when we used it as a GPS Map it took us on the side street paralleling the freeway as the faster route.

Montana

·
Registered
132 Posts
KimberChick - It definitely is a $800+ Difference, but I think that getting the 203A is worth it.

1) Your AUX Jack is going to be in a convenient spot in the cubby. Not in the glove box.
2) As Montana said, SYNC is really good at connecting with even "dumb" phones. Try it out at your dealer's lot with a non-MFT vehicle.
3) The 2 LCD screens make things much easier to read and admittedly are cooler.
4) SYNC services will make your "dumb" phone much more smarter (Traffic & Directions, hell yeah). And its free for 3 years.
5) The 203A Package gets SIRIUS a bonus you'll get that us non 301A/303A SEL-ers don't have. We need to upgrade to MFT before we get SIRIUS.
6) The USB port is quite useful, as it takes flash drives and not just music devices.
7) You get the 6-speaker stereo with SYNC and it's quite a nice upgrade.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got the regular stereo, I didn't want to mess arround with sync or anything special. I mostly listen to podcasts, and recently audio books while driving, my wife and I both have iPhones.

Been thinking of getting this to add Bluetooth streaming to the car.

http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-BluBridge-mini-jack-Rx-Bluetooth/dp/B0038MA11U

Rechargeable plug in bluetooth receiver you can just leave in the glove box. Recharges via USB, so just need a USB adapter for the car. Battery lasts 8 hours of streaming.

You can pull it out and plug into speakers in your house or what not too to stream from your phone.

They suggested this device on a recent episode of Car Tech on cnet, which is how I discovered it, and it is only $35.

Oh on the plus side, my iPhone with it's case fins perfectly in landscape mode in the cubby for the standard radio display, so not need to even buy a mounting kit.

I only got the convenience package, winter package, and SFE package on my car. I think I bought the only non-sync car they had on the lot. In retrospect I probably would have liked a hatchback instead of the SFE, but I only need that space like twice a year. At least with the SFE i get marginally better fuel economy every day.

So yeah, no special radio at all, and loving it. Smart phone and and aux jack are all I need, a $35 Bluetooth adapter is just a bonus.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Get the sync, if you ever want to have a phone call in the car or listen to music on am mp3 player. The control over the ipod is awesome too, not the same to just use some aux in. It will add significantly to resale value as more and more states have handsfree calling laws it will in future be hard to sell cars without these options. Better speakers, too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks ya'll. Yeah, I have a crappy Pantech...it'll barely BT link to it's own software on my computer, but I may try to get it to link to a car this weekend. The Sync stuff is nice and I'm leaning towards getting it since it seems like most of them are 203A cars anyway.

I've heard nothing out of the original dealer I started with, so I'm onto others now. The biggest thing has been trying to find a car that meets my criteria. Apparently, manual transmissions are rather passe' so that's been the first hurdle. The second has been finding a manual in the color I want with the options I want(or don't want as the case it turning out to be) as it seems they are all bare bones SE or loaded up with 203A/Sport/Moonroof/Winter pkg. etc etc etc. A few I've called have been really put out with the fact I don't want what they have on their lot or that I'm so particular about color and options.

Going to meet with a new dealer Friday...and trying to get more info out of the dealer that has exactly what I want that is literally 4 states away. Ordering means paying straight up MSRP...and I'm not doing that. This isn't a Mustang.

Because of this I'm also looking at a Mazda 3 hatch...at least those still have a 6-spd manual transmission and seem to be a bit easier to locate.

I owned a car that was one of a TOTAL of 6000 in production. It wasn't this hard to find that thing with everything I wanted. There are thousands of Foci...I'm finding it hard to believe that the one I want doesn't exist...save for one that is over 8 hours from my home.

·
Registered
291 Posts
ordering a car shouldnt cost any more than buying one out of stock, if a dealer wants MSRP to order one, move on to the next dealer. I prefer to order because you get exactly what you want and don;t have to pay for options you dont want.

you can also ask what vehicles they already have on order that may come in the next month

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I guess I got lucky when I bought mine last week - there were 2 Blue Candy 203A Sport SE hatchbacks available in my area. I bought one of them.

Don't be afraid to look yourself: http://www.inventory.ford.com

Punch in zip codes from surrounding areas and see what pulls up. I did the same, and was able to find what I was looking for.

Also, the Sync is entirely worth it. I can finally hook my iPod up via USB, I have bluetooth connectivity with my Blackberry, and the displays are gorgeous. Plus, you get 6 months of Sirius. I love it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It should be cheaper to order a car. All those cars sitting on a dealer lot aren't given to them by Ford, they have to buy them. So, they are paying interest on their stock which eats into the profits. Ordering a car there is no interest so the dealer can sell it for less and make the same profit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I found it difficult to get what I wanted, too. Same thing - either bare bones or loaded with everything. I ended up ordering. I used truecar.com for pricing. Closest truecar dealer was willing to give me same price if I ordered. I asked my local dealer if they could offer a price in that ballpark, and they beat it by $200.

Since I ended up going with the SEL, I'm getting SYNC. I have an old Palm Treo, so I'll find out how well that works with it. I rarely need to use my phone in the car, so if it doesn't work I won't really care.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I got lucky when I bought mine last week - there were 2 Blue Candy 203A Sport SE hatchbacks available in my area. I bought one of them.

Don't be afraid to look yourself: http://www.inventory.ford.com

Punch in zip codes from surrounding areas and see what pulls up. I did the same, and was able to find what I was looking for.

Also, the Sync is entirely worth it. I can finally hook my iPod up via USB, I have bluetooth connectivity with my Blackberry, and the displays are gorgeous. Plus, you get 6 months of Sirius. I love it.
Believe me, I have. Dealers have too. I wasn't flexible on options or color which made it extra hard to find my car. Also, I HATE Sirius with a passion. I'm an old subscriber, pre-merger. They killed all my stations in the merger. I hope I don't have to give any credit card info to activate it because they love to charge you after you've cancelled the service. That's why i didn't want the SYNC/Sirius package...I also don't have an iPod, lol.

I ordered one on Black Friday...no obligation, I get first right of refusal on it if it's not exactly what I want or if the factory rebate/finance deals dissolve by then. But, it's EXACTLY what I want and I was able to get it on a pricing plan invoice so it's already working out to be a decent deal before negotiations and rebates.

The bad news...there's a 6-8 week lead on them because the factory's about to get into holiday shutdown/ 2013 retooling. Hopefully the deals will still be there on financing and rebates in...February.

Now, on to find info on the auto-dim mirror install...it's an available option on some of the cars which lead me to believe that like Toyota, there's a plug tucked under the headliner for the mirror. It just needs to be purchased and mounted and plugged in to work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Last week, I ordered an SE w/ sport package, winter package and 201A. This was the exact set up I've wanted for a month. Nothing was going to change my mind.

My girlfriend just recently picked up a 2012 Elantra and it had bluetooth, usb etc.. All those things similar sync.

At that moment, I had to get sync. So today, I called my dealership and asked to upgrade to 203A. Luckily I was still early enough to make the changes but will need to come in tomorrow to complete/confirm the paperwork.

Since I already negotiated my deal (great at the time - saved about $3160cdn off MSRP) I have to pay the difference to add 203a. Which kinda makes me think I'm not getting a much better deal as before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts