Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so as you guys may know it makes a heck of a lot of noise. Since I've noticed the few people that have them have mentioned the noise it makes.
Slammed 2.0 seem to not have the noise, maybe because he's slammed? [burnout] but anyways, for those that have the noise and need to remedy it, you will need new joints.

I noticed my co-worker's Jeep has a similar endlink with heim joints on it. I asked if his make any noise and he told me no. I also then asked if they're loose as hell and he said no not really they're tight even when they aren't tensioned.
I brought in a spare one I got that Dom sent me to replace a defective one and showed him. He was shocked about the amount of play it had. It had a lot of in and out play and it was just loose to fling around and turn lock to lock to make all the noise it does. He recommended a company that makes these QA1 and I ordered some from there that matches what I have.
http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/drag-and-street/rod-ends/endura-racing-series.html < I got the EXM ones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1LB1LcHAaU

If you already have Dom's swaybar end links you would need to get these to replace those joints in there
EXMR6S and EXML6S < 2 of each
the R one is the right hand thread and the L one is the left hand thread.
You might want to email them and make sure it comes with the 3/8 stud put in not sure if that is part of the part # since i was emailing them with questions and to confirm everything.

They were $7.75ea with the stud put in so $44.21 shipped to me from MN

I'm not saying that the ones from Dominic are bad because his stuff is solid quality. He doesn't make these joints it's just not exactly a good choice of joints as he must buy them from somewhere

Check the video out; I think video shows the two different joints pretty nicely
Hope this helps you guys out with the noise [cool]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
That's a great video, good job. I have Dom's toe-link's too. I found it good to add boot's to keep out the dirt & water out of the heim joint's= their don't like it. I also have CFM's FLC's w/ boot's on them too.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I swapped the new ones i got from QA1 onto the car now, OMG FINALLY. I CAN DRIVE IN PEACE WITHOUT THE NOISES [drinking]

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wait!
As of about 2-3 days ago these started to make noise and it's no different. Something somewhere changed.. I don't get it. I might have to remove them and feel for a difference in my hand.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Say Ray, what is the purpose of heim joint's on the front sway bar end link's? To have a stiffer material over plastic perhap's? When the plastic ones are in good condition, would you really notice or could tell witch ones are on your car, Dom's or stock, if I was to swap back & forth, & you were to test drive? The oem's aren't rubber bushed, say like, the rear toe-link's that make a big difference in the reponse of the rear of the car feeling more planted.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't remember what Ford OEM feels like but from Moog to Dom's I noticed a difference. When I went from the joints Dominic supplies to the QA1 ones I definitely noticed the car was more planted and responsive.
I may have determined the fault here that causes the noise.
The QA1 ones are still tight as heck but there is an angle to the endlink. It's not straight up and down. I am going to try to tweak the adjustment of the mounting point with some spacers and see if it being straight will stop the noise shenanigans.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
What front bar are you running, Ray? And what suspesion mod's do you have? Your car look's great, by the way.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aha! After some examining with my coworker. We had a theory and I put the theory to work and all is well now!
The problem is that the link is supposed to be as close to vertical as possible. My link was a bit crooked tilting outwards (like positive camber) creating a compound joint.
This pressed the stud all to max out in the joint and as I drove down the road it would move and return to the maxed out position thus making all the noise.

He suggested I try to bring the mounting point out by using a spacer or some washers. I went to ACE Hardware and bought a bunch of thick washers and I placed 3 on each spacing it about 1/4 or 1/3ish inch out on the top joint and the lower joint. This made my end link closer to a vertical position. The max position no longer has the stud touching the end of the housing.
The noise is all gone and all is perfect.

I have a 22mm Eibach front bar and a 25mm rear, FRPP springs and shocks, and dominant rear camber arms.
I'm going for the rest of his suspension stuff soon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts