Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrighty i just picked up paint for the focus tonight and some bulldogg and i am painting the door side moldings along with tthe rear trunk hatch and door handles now my question was should i paint the whole mirror or just the half moon like an svt???? also i have bought the ford aftermarket gfx kit to take care of the bottom moldings thats should be here in a week

any thoughts or opinions r greatly appreciated[thumb]

·
Registered
892 Posts
I suggest practicing on the hatch strip first. I sanded my parts with 180 grit on a power sander, then 280, then 400 grit. Just be careful not to round the edges off.

2 light coats of bulldog. Then 2 light coats of primer. I wet sanded the 2nd coat of primer with 2000 grit. On a couple pieces after the wet sanding I found that I needed a bit more sanding with the 180 grit. So I started over. The prep work is alot of work, but my moldings are really smooth and look great, even with a rattle can spray job. Im posting pics when done, weather has been crappy and the dew point is to high to finish spraying.

I tried to paint the door handles on my Infra-Red SE. The results were very poor, its tough to get the handles smooth. I bought the Infra-Red SVT handles from fordparts.com and painted the keyless bezels (they didnt come prepainted). The bezels didnt match exactly but are close enough that only I could tell.

Good luck, it can be done just take your time, dont get in a hurry.

Heres a tip: Before you paint the item position it the way it will appear on the car. Its easier to paint the longer pieces that way, and the can will not sputter on you from being turned on its side.

Heres how I did my side moldings, they are attached to the box with 2 sided tape.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome thanks for the tips i am havin my buddy who does autobody as a job we are using a paint gun and takin care of it but my real ? was what about the mirrors just the half moon like the svt or the entire assembly

·
Registered
892 Posts
I think they will look funny if you just paint the cover. The cover releases with 3 clips. I pulled apart a broken j-yard mirror. If it is manual the glass does not seperate from the body, I dont know on the powered ones. The 3 clips are hard to get to, you may need to bend a screw driver to access them.

·
Registered
909 Posts
the half moon paint job on the mirros looks cool i thinkg. its sorta different. i would do that

·
FF Bouncer
3,178 Posts
Here is a pic of what I have done with my mirrors... I'm not exactly happy with the result, the paint didn't turn out as well as I wanted. So I think I'm gonna try the painting the "half moon" on my stocks and see how that looks. Good luck!

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts