Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3412.html

I've already got one of those. I want to order another one so I can make a full set up. I don't want super loud bass or lose alot of trunk space so I'm going with 2 8" subs. What would be the best amp for me to use? Or rather how many watts should I give to them? Should I go by RMS or peak handling?

·
Registered
488 Posts
rms... peak handling is just a bs number used for advertisement... rms is what it can handle in real world power...

on the cvr's... they like power... i'd say about 200-250rms from the amp per sub.. so a decent 500watt rms @ (what ever ohm load you wire them up) monoblock amp would do them justice...

just be sure to take it easy on them the first couple weeks for break-in time...

-AcId-

·
Registered
28 Posts
^^^^^ play the subs at a level below normal listening for about 2 weeks before you blast them. it just will help to move the woofer cone before you over exert it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
^^^^^ play the subs at a level below normal listening for about 2 weeks before you blast them. it just will help to move the woofer cone before you over exert it.
Pound on them right from the start, if you hear distortion, turn it down but it's a complete myth that you have to go easy on them! When you break a woofer in for testing you run it at FULL power, peak to peak excursion for 24 to 48 hours, harder than you'll every run it normally.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love 8s. My 15" L7 is coming out to be replaced by 2 ascendant 8" assassin as soon as they are available again. Scott, the original owner of RE is partnering with them for the redesign, and ascendants were already great, so they should be amazing.
For your comps, a 500-600W amp should be perfect. Good luck with your setup.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well since u already got you answer on power and it does depend on ur omhage set up so that varies but do go easy on them to break them in its not a myth i was beaking in a 12 L5 on a sony 1000 watt xplod and it the gain was low and the bass was on 2/3 on the pre amp and i still managed to burn on of the coils after playing a pitbul track with some volume that baby smoked its only simle physics

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
Dude, it's a case-by-case thing. I have 2 12" JL audios that I beat on from the beginning and they had NO trouble at all. They still sound AWESOME after about 6 months.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well since u already got you answer on power and it does depend on ur omhage set up so that varies but do go easy on them to break them in its not a myth i was beaking in a 12 L5 on a sony 1000 watt xplod and it the gain was low and the bass was on 2/3 on the pre amp and i still managed to burn on of the coils after playing a pitbul track with some volume that baby smoked its only simle physics
Why do you think they call it Sony Xplode. It's a myth. What the hell does physics have to do with it? If you overdrive the sub, it will blow. If you hook it up to a piece of absolute crap Sony amplifier that is WAY less than 1000 watts and don't have it set up right, your sub will blow! Physics doesn't burn the voice coil, distortion and heat do. 99.99% of all blown subwoofers are underpowered. People keep hooking up these incredibly bad Audiobahn, Pyramid, Pyle, Sony etc. amplifiers to them.

Power = good
Distortion/heat = bad

really simple.

If you cooked the voicecoil you obviously didn't have the gains set right or they would still be fine. [bash]

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
haha, oh so detailed.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Umm....so a decent 500 watt rms amp and pounding them in the beginning is ok? I'm getting all these mixed answers.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
No porblem with that. I pushed my 2 12" JLs past their peak handling watts and they did fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts