Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got done installing my FC T/B and the Iceman intake. Took it for a spin and really enjoyed the throttle response. My problem is that I had issues with the resonator it came with. Doesn't fit properly, really just barely sits there. I also had problems because of the siren from my alarm was mounted where the resonator goes. I ended up mounting the siren to the resonator tube itself, but I hear a vibration sound and I don;t like it one bit. Can I just put the stock resonator back on and call it a day??

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
You can put the stock resonator back on. Not sure if you'll lose any performance gains or not.
I took a file and filed down the inside of my iceman resonator and the outside tab on the stock air box resonator hole so the iceman resonator duct fits flush with the stock box. I have no gap between the stock air box and the iceman resonator duct.
If you don't cut and file the tab on the stock air box, the resonator duct doesn't seat all the way on the stock air box.
This leaves room for the resonator duct to fall off or come loose.
Once I got it on there, I zip tied it to the brace next to the battery.
I've had mine on for over 3 months and it has yet to come loose or come off.

I can post pics if you want. Jus let me know.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I had problems with mine not fitting but it was the oposite the thing wasnt big enough to fit over i had to take a file to the inside where is goes on,but i finally got it to work.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah post the pics cause I'd like to give it a shot so it will stay on permanatly, otherwise I'll just go ahead and put the stock one back on.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Ya, file the inside of the resonator duct so it fits over the stock resonator hole.
Then on the bottom or top of the stock resonator hole, there are some tabs on the outside.
Cut the tabs and file them down so they don't get in the way of the iceman resonator duct
to seat all the way to the stock air box.

I'll try to post pics later tonight.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Got home and it was dark and raining...a typical seattle,wa night...[:(]
Will try to take pics tomorrow and post.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW, I did call Iceman and they told me I could use the stock resonator if I wanted. The one that comes with the Iceman just let's in a bit more air the guy told me. He said I was good either way i went.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured out exactly where the vibration is coming from. It's coming from the the filter housing. I think it was because of the Iceman tubing not being long enough I had to pull on one of the rubber sleeves and I was also pushing the filter house together and I think I just kinda move it a lil too much. I Pulled the sleeve over a lil more and pushed down on the filter box. Theres still a slight bit of vibration I'm hearing but it's much better now. Gonna have to figure out exactly how to get rid of the vibration completely though.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I got pics but don't have a USB cable at work to connect the camera to post the pics.
I will post them when I get home tonight.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Picture #1 shows the resonator upclose to the air filter box. You'll notice that the resonator is right up against the box.
It's been 3 months since I did this so bare with me..[rolleyes]

You need to clip and file down the tab or tabs on the bottom or/and top of the stock air box resonator port. You will need to remove the bottom portion of the box out of the car to do this. When U look at it, it's obvious what I'm referring to.
*If U don't remove the tabs, the resonator will only seat to about an inch from the box.

Picture #1:
-------------------

Picture #2 shows the zip tie and the little rubber bumper pad I bought to keep it in place.
I bought these two rubber stoppers. The ones kind on the end of a crutch. I bought one 2.5 inch and I think 2 inch. I put/forced the 2 inch one inside the 2.5 inch one so there is some sort of resistance outward to keep the rubber spacer in place.

Picture #2:
-----------------------

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MICRO, thank you for the pics and the directions. I really appreciate it and gonna give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks bud! [thumb]

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I took care of the Resonator fitment problem, BUT, I'm still hearing a slight rattling when I'm inside the car. It's very annoying and I just can't seem to figure out whats causing it. Did anyone have any sort of problem like this when they put their Iceman on? Just not sure if it's normal because of the extra air coming in or something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts