Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont even try it. The PS3's are great tire but man I found out today they cant handle snow at all!!!!!!!!!!! My snow tires are set to arrive on Wednesday .... well that is not helping me at all.

I was suppose to race my Roush Mustang tomorrow in south Jersey. Well there is no way I cant get it to the track. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heavy branches are falling on my house .... [rant]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yup. Summer tires go NOWHERE in the snow.

Think I'll keep mine in the garage for now, & hit

the snow with my AWD Eagle Talon! [driving]

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
My Focus is already on dedicated snow tires, it's the only way to go frankly. Using summers isn't worth the risk.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did you honestly expect a summer tire to be anything but horrible in the snow?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always use snow tires on my vehicles. I ordered them last week on rims. I just never expected to need them so soon.

·
Registered
425 Posts
yeah, no snow here yet but the PS3s are getting pretty noisy with these 0C/32F mornings.
I've got some TPMS sensors on the way and then I can have my winter tires installed on the new OEM 16" alloys I bought.... I just want the snow to hold off til december, since I'm taking a roadtrip to Chicago in mid-November and I don't want to drive that on noisy-ass winter tires D:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To get home I had to turn off the traction control. It is the center stack, not a typical switch like on most cars. Just thought I would post up the info.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dont even try it. The PS3's are great tire but man I found out today they cant handle snow at all!!!!!!!!!!! My snow tires are set to arrive on Wednesday .... well that is not helping me at all.

I was suppose to race my Roush Mustang tomorrow in south Jersey. Well there is no way I cant get it to the track. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heavy branches are falling on my house .... [rant]
I thought that I read it somewhere and I just confirmed it, there is a warning decal on the drivers door of the Titanium with 18" wheels, that these tires are not to be used when the weather drops below 40 degrees F or 5 degrees C.

Does your car not have these same decals?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought that I read it somewhere and I just confirmed it, there is a warning decal on the drivers door of the Titanium with 18" wheels, that these tires are not to be used when the weather drops below 40 degrees F or 5 degrees C.

Does your car not have these same decals?
I am not sure, but they are summer tires that come on some of Europe's best. I sold my 4 mounted snow tires from my Mustang Friday and now I am waiting for my snows for the Focus. They are not an "R" compound (race tire like I have on the Roush) but you are right, tires like this don't even work well in the cold.

IMO, these tires are overkill on a Focus. I did run my car around a track for a couple of laps this summer ... and the tires were awesome.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Not that it matters at all.. but i have used the Summer only Triple AAA traction high performance tires on my former ride, an SVT Contour year round and NEVER had a single issue using them all Winter.
Perhaps having grown up driving rear wheel drive cars with balding tires makes a difference in my expectations, but just sayin' Summer tires can do work well enough to use all Winter.. At least for the 12 Winters i kept them on my car in Wisconsin.
(this comment does not negate anyones' desire for better traction in Winter. OK?)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Not that it matters at all.. but i have used the Summer only Triple AAA traction high performance tires on my former ride, an SVT Contour year round and NEVER had a single issue using them all Winter.
Perhaps having grown up driving rear wheel drive cars with balding tires makes a difference in my expectations, but just sayin' Summer tires can do work well enough to use all Winter.. At least for the 12 Winters i kept them on my car in Wisconsin.
(this comment does not negate anyones' desire for better traction in Winter. OK?)
In Germany you are legally responsible to have winter tires (snow-rated all seasons @ a minimum) or you will be fined. if you're involved in an accident in the winter and you're using summer tires, you'll be held at least partially responsible (even if you were rear-ended).

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Over the years all season tires have gotten worse and worse in the winter and better and better in the summer. To me a high performance all season radial is an oxymoron.

Growing up in upstate NY I had a Jeep with four studded snow tires. True 4 wheel drive and studded snows are an awesome combination in the winter.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Roger that! Got a set of 4 snows waiting for me at the local tire dealers; just gotta go get'em mounted on the 7th, and I'll be ready to roll in the snow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts