Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i heat up my exhaust tip will it turn blue like the titanium exaust tips?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
If it is Stainless Steel, yes, after you clean the carbon off it.
But most tips are cheap Steel with a crappy chrome coating on them. Wouldn't recommend using heat on them.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my tip was tip was chrome colored but after a while it turned a gold color why is that?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Heat. Chrome is not meant to deal with heat. Chrome is actually clear and the shiny part is Nickel, which takes heat just fine, melting point of roughly 2,600 degrees. While Chrome has a melting point around 500 degrees.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do all chrome tips eventurally turn to a gold color? and is there a way to restore my tips former color?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Polish, usually does the trick. I personally like Master Formula (have to buy on the internet or trade shows) but Mothers is pretty good too. It may get rid of the yellow/gold or may not. It all depends on if the Chrome will flake off. If it does your good. Then you just shine the Nickel up and your set.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
That means the Chrome is holding good. In that case take some fine sand paper and sand the tip, 320 grit or higher. Then use the polish, with a drill and a buffing wheel would give the best shine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts