Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I like to come up with a plan on what to get, so now I'm trying to figure out what type of tires I need, I drive on alot of dirt roads, but the rims I'm gettin are gonna be 17", prolly O.Z or REV, but what tires work good for dirt roads, and shyt like that, remember I like to rally a litle bit! [:)]

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Wait, you like to rally a little bit, WTF does that mean? Either you rally race or you do not?

Here are some good brands:
BFG
Pirelli
Michelin
Gooodyear
Dunlop
Kumho
Nitto

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, i dont rally race, but I like to rally, which means go on class 6 roads, which are roads that cars,dirtbikes,atvs, ect go on. and i like to go on dirtroads really really fast, but I need something that can stand up to the terrian, I don't want tires that wont give me any traction cuz roads can get rough around here, that what it means, but i am goin to a rally school this summer

·
Registered
515 Posts
If you are planning to do any kind of "off-roading" in this car, then you have no business putting 17's on it to begin with.

But go ahead. Once you bent a rim or scratch it up, then what kind of tire you have really won't matter anymore, now will it?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
instead of bashing me about what rim size im gettin, you could of said "I don't think you should use 17's for off-roading" and tell me what size I should use, and why is when someone says something, ppl have to say, thats stupid or why the **** would you do that?, damn ppl don't have to do everything the same way, if someone likes sumtin but u don't, dont bash them!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I wasn't bashing you, and I never said you were stupid.

Geez, you people are so sensitive.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
If you use a really grippy street tire it will be way too soft on the dirt roads. The rocks and dirt will end up ripping pieces of tread off the tires and they will be useless. If you get a nice hard compound tire that will hold up to the dirt and rocks, you wont have very good on-road traction. A 17" wheel is going to give you a lower profile tire. Lower profile tires are not good for off-road driving either. Good Luck

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, now u keep sayin 17" arent good for rallying and shyt, so wut size should I get?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
and exactly why do you want to go running up and down dirt roads tearing up your car? If you are gonna do that, why not get a beater or something instead of totally destroying your car. And 17's are going to require a 40 or 45 series tire, which is entirely too thin for going offpayment. You'll have to get a 14" FORGED wheel with a 60 series tire, otherwise you'll end up bending your rim, putting it off balance, killing the value of your wheel, getting blowouts. As focal said, you're either going to offroad or not, and if you are, get a different car or expect to pay out of your ass to prep your focus.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I run Yokohama AVS ES-100 E-spec tires on my focus, great tire for wet/dry road, Ive never really tried them in the dirt, but they are only 45R so I dont think they would hold up all that great. I would try a 15" wheel with a 55R all season tire, it would probably do ok, although it isnt a true dirt tire. And as for what you were saying earlier about getting bashed, I agree; Some of the moderators on this site think they are god because they have admin privs here. Just because you post a lot doesnt mean you're a better person or any better than anyone else, deflate your ego, its getting quite old and turning people away.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
****IN A, DONT U PPL UNDERSTAND SHYT? I DONT GIVE A **** WUT FOCAL SAYS, HE A ****IN HOMO, IM NOT GOIN OFFROADING, WHAT I MENT WAS, WHAT TIRE IS GOOD FOR DIFFERENT TERRIAN, NOT OFFROADING BUT ****, U GUYS WOULDNT ****IN KNOW THAT!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
N I SAY OFFROADING CUZ FOCAL IS STUPID N DOESNT KNOW WUT I MEAN BY RALLYING, FOCAL!! NEXT TIME STFU!! N HEATHER, DONT ****ING TELL ME WHAT OR WHAT ISNT MY BUSINESS, ****ING GOT THAT!! I'LL DO WHAT EVER THE **** I WANNA DO!!

AND BTW, I THOUGHT MODS WERE SUPPOSE TO HAVE ALOT OF KNOWLEDGE ON CAR SHIT, HA! LIKE MOST OF YOU DO, JUS CUZ YOU HAVE 3,000 OR SO POSTS, U THINK U A KNOW IT ALL

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
well, if you're going for a different terrain, other than what 99% of the rest of the world uses (pavement, concrete, tarmac) then you would be technically be "offroad"

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I LIVE AROUND DIRT ROADS BUT DRIVE ON PAVEMENT TOO, OFFROADING IS GOIN OVER BIG ROCKS N SHYT, IM NOT GONNA DO THAT BUT THATS WUT OTHER PPL THINK I AM GONNA DO!! SO ALL IM ASKING IS, WHAT TIRE STANDS UP TO DIFFERENT TERRIAN?

·
Registered
450 Posts
hi!

i run the hankook ventus k102 tires...it`s a thin tire (40) but i think it`s awesome on all terrain...
never had problems with it, and i got the tires for about 30`000km on ma car and they`re still like brand new

greetings

denis

...kinda funny thread...shakehands now!

·
Registered
12 Posts
blacknlow said:
...kinda funny thread...shakehands now!
Good call.

But to get back to the original point, the others are just trying to determine what to recommend for a tire. Personally, if you are going to be running on dirt / abandoned roads at any kind of speed, you want a firm rubber compound, unless you don't mind measuring tire life in feet instead of miles. Unfortunately, if you want street performance as well, there is going to be a trade-off since a soft compound works best there. I know there are rally tires that are designed for mixed courses dirt / paved, but have no info about them. Best bet is a google search.

As for rims, you will want to run something in 15 or under and almost assuredly forged. A 17 will require too low a profile of tire. The goal would be to have a nice amount of sidewall to absorb impact from unseen stumps, ruts, rocks, etc.

I am afraid I have very limited knowledge of taking a car into these situations, I am just applying an off-roading perspective. If I am incorrect in any of my assumptions here, please speak up.

·
Registered
816 Posts
SVT-n-FX4, your post is right on.
ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC, I have plenty of experience with the type of driving that you're talking about. SVT-n-FX4 was right on when he said that it will be a comprimise. You'll have to balance what you want for street performance with what you want on dirt and gravel. I would think that if you went with 15 inch rims and maybe looked for light truck tires that would be the right size. I think a good size for you would be 195/60/15. That is just my 2 cents worth. When I did a lot of driving on dirt roads, it was with an old beater VW golf. I wouldn't do half of the stuff that I did to that car to my focus.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts