Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 zx3 with 17's on it and when I turn or hit bumps the tires rub, what, if anything can i do to keep this from happening? Its such a painful noise to hear your killing your tires when you're turning tight.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
We need more info-size of tires, brand and model (and specs) of wheels, lowered at all?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Don't sweat it bro you aren't hurting your tires unless they stick out beyond the fender (bulldog). If they stay tucked in the wheel well, all you're hearing is the tread smoothly rubbing the slick plastic well liner. No bigge. Everyone's lowered focus does that for years with no premature wear. Your tire wear will come from being lowered, not the rubbing of the well liner.

One place all lowered guys with taller rims/ tires should watch though is where our tire starts cutting through the passenger wheel well when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the left. You can eventually after a few years, cut through the ac pipe that attatches to the top of your ac dryer. If you ever suddenly lose ac one day, check where your tire has rubbed through to the ac pipe. It rubs a tiny pinhole into the outer curve of the pipe. Of course, if you never cut your wheel all the way to the left you won't have that issue. I roll a pretty tall tire though 215-35-19, on svt suspension, so to eliminate that problem, I unbolted the dryer from it's place and relocated it (which moves the pipe) and ziptied it into a better spot a couple of inches over. Problem averted!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't sweat it bro you aren't hurting your tires unless they stick out beyond the fender (bulldog). If they stay tucked in the wheel well, all you're hearing is the tread smoothly rubbing the slick plastic well liner. No bigge. Everyone's lowered focus does that for years with no premature wear. Your tire wear will come from being lowered, not the rubbing of the well liner.

One place all lowered guys with taller rims/ tires should watch though is where our tire starts cutting through the passenger wheel well when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the left. You can eventually after a few years, cut through the ac pipe that attatches to the top of your ac dryer. If you ever suddenly lose ac one day, check where your tire has rubbed through to the ac pipe. It rubs a tiny pinhole into the outer curve of the pipe. Of course, if you never cut your wheel all the way to the left you won't have that issue. I roll a pretty tall tire though 215-35-19, on svt suspension, so to eliminate that problem, I unbolted the dryer from it's place and relocated it (which moves the pipe) and ziptied it into a better spot a couple of inches over. Problem averted!
Sweet bro, thanks!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
What offset wheels are you using?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
You can get creative with modifying your liners as well. From cutting out portions, removing altogether or reinstalling them using new screws/holes that forces liner to sit higher.

If your wheels are a lower offset than oem, id bet you are rubbing the outside part of the liner. The liner is more curved at an angle there vs straight across to the fender.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can get creative with modifying your liners as well. From cutting out portions, removing altogether or reinstalling them using new screws/holes that forces liner to sit higher.

If your wheels are a lower offset than oem, id bet you are rubbing the outside part of the liner. The liner is more curved at an angle there vs straight across to the fender.
Thank man, I'll see what I can do.

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
Roll your fenders.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Sorry but I'm not very accustomed to wheels and tires so how do I check this?
Usually the offset is on the back side of the wheels, stamped or etched in. Should be et30 to et50ish for the majority of wheels that come in our bolt pattern Or just tell us what wheels we have, some one might know. Also, what is the wheel width, 7"? What size tires are you running?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts