Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Tires are looking to be pretty worn these days. I have the stock Conti's on. I know plenty of you guys dont use the stock tires anyway. I was wondering if you guys might be able to suggest what the best tire for my application would be. I live in Southern California. It is sunny almost everyday. Rains here and there, never snows, atleast were I live and drive around. I would like great performance but not at the cost of normal driveability. So any info given would be appreciated thx.

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Azenis or F1s

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hankook Z212's.. awesome tires that work ok on the road and awesome on the track/autoX. Way better water dissapation than the Falkens. And pretty cheap 98$ a tire at Edge Racing

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
i would go with conti extreme sport contact, or pirelli pnero zero

i have conti's on mine, the same ones that came stock with the svt.. and their awesome tires.... but they dont last that long.. and if im not mistaken, the extreme contact lasts a lot longer

·
Registered
356 Posts
from what I hear the Continental ContiSportContact 2 are very good tires.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
BF G-Force Sport

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are those falkens particularly expensive? Also are they good for daily driving and last atleast 30k miles?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Azenis, not gonna last very long, but definitly super sticky for the price.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
BFG gForce T/A KDW, excellent dry and wet tire, but you'll need another set of snow tires... if it snows or ices at all in socal

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Anaxagoras1986 said:
WD- what's your prefference for tires? You seem to autoX a lot right?
So far, the Azenis are MOST outstanding on the AutoCross course.
Which reminds me, I should "update" that thread a bit.

At the present time, and probably for this whole season, I'm using the Azenis as daily drivers as well.
They're definitely a bit of overkill for the street, and no, you're not going to get anywhere near 30K out of them.

SVTFsOnIcBlUe;
Are you going to be AutoCrossing or tracking your car at all?
The Hankooks (R-S2), BFG-KD, Kuhmo MX, and Falken Azeni (RT-615) are all "street" class AutoCross tires.
None of them would be recommended for daily driving and rain, even though some of us do use them as such.
Especially if you expect any sort of tread life ( >15K ) out of them.

Exactly what do you want out of your tires?
30K tires and good grip don't really go hand in hand...
I highly suggest reading the reviews and testing results at The Tire Rack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp
See what type tire fits your needs as well as your budget.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would look at the KDWs , Toyo Proxes 4s ( I use them.) or Falken 512s. None of these should break the bank, and offer you decent tread life with good performance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ran into huge issues with the stock contis, on the car. I started getting vibration so i went and got the balance checked, When the first wheel was on the balancer we could hear shit ratteling around inside the tire, and thats when i noticed the tred on the inside (not facing out on the car) was seperating from the tire. They were delaminating. I was crushed. well not really. I ended up replacing them with Fusion Zri's i belive they are a bridgestone niche brand. i have been really impressed with the tire. Excellent in the rain. The contis did provide more grip in the dry but marginally. Its all depending on what your doing, but i would recommend the fusions if you dayily drive the car and experience moderate rain. I have been through an intense monsoon like down fall on one of my 3000 mile road trips with this tire and had no problems.

i wanted to get a toyo proxy z1r but it was a little more than i could afford at the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts