Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Focus SE, 45K miles , currently have the stock Conti Pro Contact 215/50R17

Tires are about bald, Deal recommended the same tire.

I am in Texas. No snow all I have to deal with is Concrete and rain. Any quick suggestions

Thanks

·
Registered
739 Posts
Are you looking for longevity, performance, or better fuel economy?

·
Registered
739 Posts
According to my quick research the Conti PureContact's seem to be one of the best all-season choices right now. That's according to over 400 reviews on TireRack. Michelin Premier A/S seem to be pretty good as well. My personal choice would be for the Conti PureContact's. The tread on those looks better to me.

Both are low rolling resistance tires so they will improve fuel economy and should last longer. The warranty on both is really good.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to my quick research the Conti PureContact's seem to be one of the best all-season choices right now. That's according to over 400 reviews on TireRack. Michelin Premier A/S seem to be pretty good as well. My personal choice would be for the Conti PureContact's. The tread on those looks better to me.

Both are low rolling resistance tires so they will improve fuel economy and should last longer. The warranty on both is really good.

OK I will give that Tire rack a look.

Thanks !!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I cant stand Continentals, so I'm a bit bias. I've had conti's, yokohama, bridgestone, hancook, goodyear, and some off-brands. The only tire that I've liked is Goodyear.

·
Registered
629 Posts
According to my quick research the Conti PureContact's seem to be one of the best all-season choices right now.
Yes it comes near 1st as one of the best sellers. But look at the survey list for the grand touring tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...ocus+5-Door&autoModClar=SE+with+Sport+Package

The Pirelli P7 is number 1. I have found the ratings to be pretty accurate on the actual performance of a tire.

Personally after how bad the OEM Continential tires where I can't bring myself to buy another set. I took them off the car at 20k miles as they where worthless in the snow. I have looked at the DWS a few times but again could never bring myself to purchase them.

And I honestly can't understand why the OEM ContiProContacts are a best seller. They have a very poor rating.

·
Registered
822 Posts

I had the PureContacts on my 16" wheels. They have better traction and improved cornering over the Conti's that came on my Focus ...BUT, The ride was quite a bit harsher.

Right now I'm using General AltiMAX RT43 on my 17" wheels. Compared to the stock Conti's (which were the same ones I had on my 16" wheels), the ride quality and traction is much improved. Can't say how long they last yet since I've only had them on since October.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From personal exp you can't really judge the life of the factory set of tires.
The manufacturers put lower quality tires on their vehicles. they are not the same grade of tire that you will get from a tire store or the dealership.

Have a 04 F150 that was bought brand new at 20k i had 4 tires with 4 different wear patterns. was able to get ford to replace the tires thru the dealership second set of tires lasted 60k

·
Registered
191 Posts
Apparently I was lucky to get 40K out of the factory Continentals on my '12 Focus. Traded that car in and found the '14 has Cooper tires on it... Not sure how they will do, but we'll see.

I have been a fan of Firestone tires for most of my driving life and have never been disappointed with them. My first car ('77 Civic) couldn't wear Firestones because they didn't sell any 12", but my 2nd ('87 S-10), 3rd ('65 Galaxie), and 4th car ('12 Focus) all got Firstone tires when it came time for a new set.

Not saying they are the best tires, but they have been good to me...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Check out the General G-Max AS03...really liking mine. Nice high-performance all-season.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I also really liked the OEM Cooper Zeno RS3As..got almost 50k out of them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm running Michelin Primacy MXM4 (235/40R18 91H). They are ever so slightly better in the NVH department than the Michelin Pilot Sport 3. Handling is more or less the same, and they are a bit better at taking bumps (lol). I put just over 16k mi this season.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just got the Continental PureContact which is rated #1 all-season tires by Consumer Reports. Unless I'm imaging things, the grinding noise at the lower gears is GONE. Might have something to do with the low rolling resistance.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Just got the Continental PureContact which is rated #1 all-season tires by Consumer Reports. Unless I'm imaging things, the grinding noise at the lower gears is GONE. Might have something to do with the low rolling resistance.

Actually they're #2 after the Michelin Primacy MXM4 that timeatkuu mentions. And they're in the "Performance" all-season section. There's also an all-season section that the old OEM ProContacts reside in and a UHP all-season section that the new OEM Cooper RS3-A's reside in. CR says the Michelin MXM4 outscores the PureContact on ride comfort, noise and rolling resistance.

I'm running Michelin Primacy MXM4 (235/40R18 91H). They are ever so slightly better in the NVH department than the Michelin Pilot Sport 3. Handling is more or less the same, and they are a bit better at taking bumps (lol). I put just over 16k mi this season.
A "performance" all-season is only slightly better in NVH than a pure summer tire? Huh, that's interesting.

I also really liked the OEM Cooper Zeno RS3As..got almost 50k out of them.
I was surprised that CR puts these in the "UHP" all-season category with the likes of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Didn't realize the Focus OEM tire was so performance-oriented.

·
Registered
984 Posts
^^^I was mad when my Coopers wore out and I went to get new tires at the dealer (they match online price + shipping and I was there anyway for a free oil change) and they couldn't get them in the time frame I needed them so went with the Generals...been so happy with them but would get the Coopers again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I installed Michelin Premier A/S tires in place of the stock tires at 34,000 miles facing oncoming winter season - stock tires had a terrible snow traction even when they had enough thread (in my opinion, they should not be called "all season", but rather "summer tires"). Obviously in Texas you do not need to care about snow traction.

Premier A/S feel very good so far - they are very quiet - now I hear more engine noise because of this. Plus ride feel is very comfortable - it is softer than the one with original tires, and not bouncy at all. No vibration at all speeds whatsoever. And light snow traction (for those who need it) is reasonable - obviously they are not winter tires so I need to be cautious, maintaining proper speed and distance.

Manufacturer specs UTQG at 640 - I expect about 50K useful life from them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A "performance" all-season is only slightly better in NVH than a pure summer tire? Huh, that's interesting.
Yeah... [?|] It mostly has to do with the fact I'm using 18's. Not a lot of sidewall to work with haha... My car "rides like a dream" right now with my winters on 16's. But of course (a big of course), handling sucks (dry vs dry).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dunno if they sell them south of the 49th, but the Motto Motivo would be a good option. They're a low pro tire guaranteed for 100,000 km (60,000 mi). More of a summer/all season, and we've heard nothing but good about them at the Kal I work at.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts