Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got the stock conti's with 33k miles on them. i noticed that there was uneven wear on them. i thought my tires were just really low on tread but that's just on the outside part on all four tires as i found out over the weekend. the inside part of the tire on all fours have more tread on them [???:)]

does anyone have any idea why? i don't have any suspension mods or anything like that, it's all stock, wheels, tires, etc. i'd like to know before i buy a set of new tires and put them on and go through the same thing again.

i've read somewhere before online about uneven wear and what each means but i can't remember where i read that. is it tire pressure? i don't check it too often and when i do, it's lower than it should be, especially the front. the sidewalls are starting to get a little cracked too. it's not real real bad though but noticeable.

thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
527 Posts
get the alignment checked. it sounds like it mite have to much camber. the cracks are probably just dry rotting of the rubber over time. in that case it mite be time to replace em anyway.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah they look pretty used so i'm getting a new set soon anyway. actually, i almost bought a set yesterday but remembered the uneven wear and want that taken care of before the new tires go on.

see i thought camber would sound right to me too. i don't get it though because it's not lowered and i thought that happened when lowering your vehicle.

also, i do notice SOMETIMES at highway speeds, vibration, sometimes it's not bad, sometimes it's very annoying, and sometimes it doesn't do it at all. when there is vibration it's always worst when braking at highway speeds grrr i hate that lol but i'm thinking maybe that's only due to the uneven wear on the tires.

·
FoFo Quebec!
1,486 Posts
I confirm what TSnedSi is saying. It's your alignment that needs to be checked. Usually, with all the pot holes and ruff streets we drive on, it's recommanded to do an alignment once a year and have a rotation done to your tires every oil change (or every 3 months) also. It will prolong the life of your tires.

Hope this helps.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm unfortunately i have driven on some rough streets with construction being done and potholes etc. while driving cautiously over these roads so that i don't tear my suspension up, there have been times where i felt and sounded a little rough lol. so maybe my alignment got messed up during those times. so maybe i'll just get an alignment as soon as i get the tires mount and balanced. does that sound like a good idea guys? thanks for your guys' quick responses!!

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Underinflation will cause wear on the outsides of the tires...
If you've gotten 33K out of the stock Contis, I'd give myself a pat on the back. [;)]
Most barely make it to 20K...if that.

BTW, camber is not adjustable on these cars, unless you buy the adjustable camber kits.
Regardless, get it checked if you haven't done so in the past year.
I'll bet it's not that far off due to the outstanding life you got out of those tires.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow that's great Doug, thanks. so you are saying that my tires are worn out like that because of under inflation? when i get my new set, i'll be out there checking the pressure every week!! i don't wanna go through a set like these stockers lol

then the vibration i get sometimes i guess would be from the uneven tire wear. ok i'm gonna get new tires. i want ultra high performance all season so i WAS going to go with the pirelli pzero nero m+s but when i read a couple tests on tire rack and found the kumho ecsta asx in a close second for almost a couple hundred dol less than the pirelli's, i think i'm going to go with them. after i get them tires mounted and balanced i'm getting an alignment right away.

since i hit 30k a little bit ago and i start college again in 3 weeks, i've been doing lots of maintenance and replacing some parts to get my car running top notch and so i have less to worry about and replace when i start. BTW, i'm going fulltime WITH a fulltime job. that's why i'm getting stuff done now before i get real busy.

thanks for all your help [thumb]

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
if you rotate the tires like every 6-8 thousand then you will get more of an even wear also. Keep an eye on pressure, rotate tires and then you can get 58,000 out of conti's like on my old svt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.