Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2011 Focus it to have a new axle shaft installed.The service writer told my wife that the tires should be rotated every other oil change because Focus are hard on Tires.Why are they hard on tires and if Ford knows about the problem why don't the fix it

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Well first off, it was a woman so of course they are going to say the car needs something. Also it normal and common practice to rotate your tires every other oil change, that's just normal tire maintenance there. And them saying it's hard on tires, that falls under the "woman customer" thing. Why that is a BS excuse, they could have just said that's normal maintenance to do it at those times. I don't know why they had to "lie" to your wife about the hard on tires BS.

Just reading that pisses me off. Shops do this all the time to women.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
But they where telling the truth. Foci are hard on tires.
The reason some will eat tires is due to the number of rear suspension components and bushings. If any one is out of spec it throws the whole system out of whack, and there's no way to correct it.

On many (almost all) older Foci the rear bushings are shot, yet hardly anyone replaces them due to the time consuming job it is. Thus many older cars go through tires like water, and you'll see many complaints about poor mileage (but not many put 2 and 2 together).

On a newer car you shouldn't have to worry for a few years.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
well they were telling a partial truth. There car is too new for that, and the fact that it was a woman there, you know how places can treat women.

And I have 170k mi on my car with no abnormal wear at all. I've never had a alignment done ether.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well first off, it was a woman so of course they are going to say the car needs something. Also it normal and common practice to rotate your tires every other oil change, that's just normal tire maintenance there. And them saying it's hard on tires, that falls under the "woman customer" thing. Why that is a BS excuse, they could have just said that's normal maintenance to do it at those times. I don't know why they had to "lie" to your wife about the hard on tires BS.

Just reading that pisses me off. Shops do this all the time to women.
I have a buddy that has a 2010 Focus and he has trouble with his tires.I have been driving for over 50yrs and had a lot of cars in that time and I've had tires last over 50k and can't ever remember rotating any tires.the backs always went first.
i know that they do that to woman but I have heard it from other people that there hard on tires

·
Registered
401 Posts
That is actually the recommendation for any car. Every car I have owned the manufacturer recommended rotating the tires every other oil change. If you don't do it you have a good chance the tires will get a strange wear pattern on them and start to get very noisy. I guess rotating them often kind of evens out the wear pattern for less noise.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi mkrog1,

As don627 said, tire rotation is a normal part of vehicle ownership that is recommended by every manufacturer. It wasn't based on the fact that she is female, or that the Focus goes through tires prematurely. Here's some tire care tips from SaferCar.gov:

Rotating tires from front to back and from side to side can reduce irregular wear (for vehicles that have tires that are all the same size). Look in your owner's manual for information on how frequently the tires on your vehicle should be rotated and the best pattern for rotation. To avoid vibration or shaking of the vehicle when a tire rotates, the tire must be properly balanced. This balance is achieved by positioning weights on the wheel to counterbalance heavy spots on the wheel-and-tire assembly.

A wheel alignment adjusts the angles of the wheels so that they are positioned correctly relative to the vehicle's frame. This adjustment maximizes the life of your tires and prevents your car from veering to the right or left when driving on a straight, level road.

~Natasha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts