Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 2002 SVT Focus and am having tire wear issues and have been ever since I bought the car. The front tires always wear the inside edge and even a little onto the sidewall well before wear occurs on the rest of the tire. I ruined a set of BFG KDW's in 25,000 miles. The inside corners of all 4 tires (rotating them) wore down to the steel belts and I still had 1/4 of the useable tread left on the rest of the tire. I have had the car aligned several times by different places and it has never helped. All 3 sets of tires I have owned have done this. Any clues?

Also, I am planning a suspension upgrade with H&R TOURING cup kit (1.5" lowering), H&R front and rear sway bars, and strut tower braces. I'm assuming a camber kit will be needed for this, correct?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
your toe is out of whack.
when you get your car aligned, it can be "on-spec" but still damage the tire because the ford spec is really loose. if both camber and toe are on the edge of the range but still inspec, it will wear the inside edge of the tire everytime.

Idealy you want to have almost 0 toe for the front and back (this will let you have upto 3º of camber without tire wear issues). do a search for some alignment spec threads, and they will offer up what spec you should give the alignment guy for a custom alignment.

If you lower 1.5" you will need an alignment after, but you wont need a camber kit (you will only get about -1.5 to -2º of camber from that small a drop)

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The answer is in selecting the right alignment specs. Leave it up to the alignment tech and you'll get a middle of spec alignment which WILL cause the wear you're seeing. ASK for the following specs:

Front toe: 0.01 to 0.02 inches of "toe-out"
Rear toe: 0.04 inches of "toe-in" (this is the minimum allowable Ford spec....use it!)

Front Camber: not adjustable but usually not a problem if within spec.
Rear Camber: not adjustable but CAN be a problem if there's too much negative camber and it's associated with too much rear toe-in. If over -1.5 degrees I recommend that you consider getting rear camber bolts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts