Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to sound like a video game retard but, is it actually real?
Can you set alignment (camber) by the surface temp of your tire?

For instance last night I got a wild hair up my arse and used my IR thermo on my tires, measuring the temp in 5 spots across the face. As I got closer the the inside of the tire the temp got hotter, 5* hotter actually.
It seems it could be true because I do have negative camber in the rear, how much I'm not sure, but my hack measurement says ~-1.3*.

I just want to know if it's really possibly to adjust by tire temp or if that's just something you see in video games?

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
could be, im no expert, but the outside of the tire may be cooler because its the outside and is able to dissipate heat better because of the air moving around the car....

·
Registered
505 Posts
Lots of variables, like air flow. I'm sure camber can affect the tire temperature, but I don't think it is an accurate and repeatable way to measure or adjust camber.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWIW, ambient temp last night was 72*. The face of the tire varied from 90* to 95*.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yes.

Also if the middle is hotter than the average of the outside, it's overinflated; cooler than the outside, it's underinflated

·
slow
1,734 Posts
It is a often used tuning tool for autoxers and racers to use tire temperature to make adjustments to their suspension setups. The goal is usually to get an even temperature distribution across the face of the tire.

A hot outside edge would mean not enough static camber, cold out board edge too much. Instead of an IR thermometer, most people will tune using a pyrometer like this:

http://www.soloracer.com/pyrometer.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts