Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got the 5-spoke 16" alloys on my '03 ZTW with the standard 205/50R16 tires.
Will be needing new tires soon. I like the wheels, so I don't plan on upgrading to 17's unless I find a killer deal around here somewhere (then dtr can have my 16's)
So anyway, to me, the 205/50 tires look a little small, and I wouldn't mind having a tire with a little larger diameter. I've read posts (by SkaAddict and others) that indicate a 205/55R16 would be OK, with just some minor spash shield rubbing at full lock. .
Well, how about a 215/55R16 - Has anyone tried this combo?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BUMP -

Well, due to a flat on my RT rear, which had about 2/32nd's left, I was forced to make my tire decision earlier than anticipated.
--- I was actually looking for something a bit TALLER to fit the wheelwell out a bit more, and also decrease the effective final drive ratio, to hopefully get a bit better mileage.
--- Wanted to from 205/50R16's (stock size) to 215/55R16's. Those were CONSIDERABLY taller than the stock tires, and it was obvious they were not going to fit. The tire tech didn't think a 205/55R16 would fit either. he thought that a bolt on the upper control arm was too close to provide sufficient clearance.
--- Soooooo, I ended up with the stock size BFG Traction T/A's. It's got a pretty hard compound / tread wear rating. I'm more concerned with tread wear than cornering ability.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts