Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change tire size, I don't like the low profile, they seem to wear out fast. What is the largest tire I can run on a 16 inch rim without rubbing, also can I get 14 inch rims for my car. It's a 2002 ZTS

·
Registered
308 Posts
The only thing that I have found to fit our vehicles is the 205/50/R16 series. Also, I believe 14" wheels would fit. I believe that is stock equipment on the LX. 14" steel with caps. Why are you going to 14"? Are you putting them on for winter? Just curious. By the way, welcome to Focus Fanatics. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
If tire wear is your concern then size means nothing. Try researching an all season with a lower speed rating on tirerack.com ( your car will only do 106mph anyway ). Also Michelin tires seem to wear extremely well but your also sacrificing traction to get long wear. If you drive your car hard then live with the short wear your gonna want the extra traction. Whats on it Firestone or Goodyear ?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey, I'm from Brazil and I got some Pirelli P6000 205/55 tires for my 16" rims. Is that good or should I get 205/50 ????

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Tirerack is the solution to everything around here, it seems.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
CrazyMatt said:
Tirerack is the solution to everything around here, it seems.
They have one of the most comprehensive online tire collections, and at the best prices I've seen around, couple that with fantastic customer service, and you've got a recipe for success.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Dudafc, You're tires a little tall. They're approximately 8/10ths of an inch taller than a 205/50-16 (considered stock). This will result in a speedometer error of 3.4% or when your speedo indicates 60 mph you're really going 62 mph. I wouldn't spend money to change them unless you're experiencing some interference or rubbing problems, the performance improvements from the slightly lower sidewall (aspect ratio) would be minimal for normal driving.

Here's a web site to compare impacts of varying tire sizes:

www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts