Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I Nom Cones
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 focus coupe and I put 17" icw rims on it. When I have people in the back seat and take a turn my back tires (depending on the side im turning) rub against the inside of the fender. I believe it is caused by the stock springs are gargage. Does anyone know of any springs that would prevent this from occuring?

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
most after market spring will help deapending on the drop, if you looking for performance then I would suggest what I got is H&R addjustable coilovers, if your going for looks then may be like some Eibachs....(SP?)

·
I Nom Cones
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, coil-overs are a tad pricy but i was looking at the eibach springs, i jsut wasn't sure if they would solve my problem

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
ummm if you lower your car it will rub more....... i think maybe you bought the wrong offset.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
I had a simmular problem w/ my car, although I have a ZX3. It was when I got bigger tire(17 compared to my 15 stockys) and just when I turned on a corner. I got eibach springs and no more rubbing. After a while I just wanted a bit more perfomance through corners, so I got coilovers....but like silveib said on the 08's mite make it worse if you lowe it.... BTW how much weight are you friends? It shouldn't rub at all. You mite have a bad strut. should look at it first to make sure everything under there is OK.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
i think maybe you bought the wrong offset.
Ding ding ding...
I'll bet those wheels are 40-42mm offset.
Realistically, 45mm and greater would be better if you're hauling passengers all the time.
FYI, the offset on SVTF 17X7 wheels is 49mm.

And, what size tires are you running?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
do i win a prize!!!!

Reactions: WD40

·
I Nom Cones
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry guys, i forgot to re-check this post because i wasn't notified of any of the replys.[mecry]

the icw rims i have are i think 17 X 7.5, im not sure now, but i don't think its just 17 X 7...

and my tires are i wanna say... 215/45/17... i think, ill have to double check.

im almost certain that my wheels are too big though, cause they are wider than stock.

yeah, decided to check back here cause i couldn't find links for suspension for the 08 focus and found all of your replys.

but i am looking at the eibach springs from steeda or the H & R ones from focus sport.... I am not trying to buy performance shocks though because they are really expensive and im not ready to do that. i plan on calling the companies and asking them but haven't done it yet.

do you think that the stock shocks would be okay with the small drop of either set, i think that the eibach has like a 1.1 inch in the front and 1.2 in the back, and the H&R is a little lower at like 1.5 or something.

my neighbor thinks they will be fine because they are new, he dropped his 94 accord like 3 inches by himself and blew out his shocks, but they were like 13 years old and three inches was alot.

honestly i would be fine without lowering it, i just want stiffer springs, although as i think about it more, lowering it would be cool.

·
Registered
301 Posts
ideally, you want to mate your springs with a proper set of dampers. however, with a mild drop you should be fine, for a while. you will bounce though, stock dampers aren't meant to control the spring rate of stiffer, lower springs. as silveib and WD40 stated, i think your wheel offset is too low.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I have a set of ICW racing 18's on my FOFO with a 7.5 offset and I'm riding stock suspension without any rubbing issues so far *knock on wood * .
My tires are 215/40/18 Nankang NS11..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts