Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after installing my eibach pro kit and 18x7 falken whells with 205/35r18's on it my drivers side rear tire rubs when i go around corners pull into a parking lot turning right. if i turn left the right side never rubs just when i turn right. i havent gotten it aligned yet. do you think it would make that big of a difference? thanks for all responses as id realy like to take some hard right turns soon.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
could just be cause the camber is now out and your tires are sitting / --- \

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
my drivers side seemed to have a little more rub on the fender liner than the passenger side did. that's my guess to what's happening. pull the wheel off and take a look at it. if it is, just take some cutters and have at it lol.

·
Registered
114 Posts
how...heavy...are you? does it happen evenly when taking passengers? alignment will be better all around, but not fix it probably.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I found on my stock bumper covers there is a piece of plastic that sticks out I trimmed it and my car dosent rub first determine where it is rubbing. Drive it around and after hearing it rub a couple of times pull over and look for a rubbed area usually shinny. Then you can determine if it is a easy fix or what you need to do

·
Livin' it up in Cali
2,005 Posts
thats wierd.... it must be an alignment issue, because I am running the Eibach sport-kit with 18x7.5" wheels and 215/35-18 tires and I have no rubbing issues. So basically my cars lower with a wider rim and little bit wider tire....?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
with the car loaded with 2 people in the back and two in the front its almost undrivable. it rubs just inside the lip of the wheel well their a 42mm offset. thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Sounds like the offset is the problem. A 45 to 49mm offset is preferred as it tucks the tires in a little more. Reports here are iffy with 42's. Sometimes they rub sometimes they don't but more often than not 42's cause rubbing especially when the car is loaded as you have learned. No alignment except for some exteme negative camber (read tire eating negative camber) will fix it. I do not recommend this solution.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i thought it mite be the offset too, but it only rubs on the driver side. never the passenger side

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you to all who replied to this post. i got an alignment on the car and its a whole new car. theres absolutely no rub, the ride isnt nearly as harsh, bumps arent nearly as bad. i didnt think it would make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Sorry...an alignment can't change the ride ("harshness"). It can however affect handling (pulling, crabbing, understeer and oversteer).

·
Registered
77 Posts
TSnedSi said:
thank you to all who replied to this post. i got an alignment on the car and its a whole new car. theres absolutely no rub, the ride isnt nearly as harsh, bumps arent nearly as bad. i didnt think it would make that much of a difference.

I'm having the same problem. Could you please post the alignment information?
I'm running 215/35/R18.
Thanks.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Geezer said:
Sorry...an alignment can't change the ride ("harshness"). It can however affect handling (pulling, crabbing, understeer and oversteer).
I disagree, and alignment WILL improve your ride.

When you are riding with sloppy toe and camper, the car will not ride/handle, take bumps evenly or nothing.

I have lowered all my cars, and I refuse to drive with getting it aligned shortly after lowering and/or replacing struts/dampers/shocks.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
eazyrider_tim said:
I disagree, and alignment WILL improve your ride.

When you are riding with sloppy toe and camper, the car will not ride/handle, take bumps evenly or nothing.

I have lowered all my cars, and I refuse to drive with getting it aligned shortly after lowering and/or replacing struts/dampers/shocks.

All the things you mentioned meet the normal defintition of handling. Ride is defined as comfort. Alignment will not impact comfort. Its important to not mix terms as it leads to confusion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts