Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 02 sedan that I just put on MSW Type 85 wheels that are 16x6.5 with 5.4" backspacing with 42mm offset. They have 205/55/16 bridgestone potenza s-04 pole position. Yes they're over sized but only 0.2" bigger than svt 215/45/17 and just as wide for these tires. The wheels definitely sit wider than stock but seem to clear fine except the passenger rear. The top of the tire is rubbing the fender on bumps.

My first thought was old springs and shocks (they look to be original with over 150k so they need to be replaced) but the car sits pretty high and wouldn't both sides rub?

Could it be the alignment? More positive camber on that side? It has stock rear suspension so is there any camber adjustment?

Worst case I guess I can roll the fender edge to get a little more clearance.

Thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got a 02 sedan that I just put on MSW Type 85 wheels that are 16x6.5 with 5.4" backspacing with 42mm offset. They have 205/55/16 bridgestone potenza s-04 pole position. Yes they're over sized but only 0.2" bigger than svt 215/45/17 and just as wide for these tires. The wheels definitely sit wider than stock but seem to clear fine except the passenger rear. The top of the tire is rubbing the fender on bumps.

My first thought was old springs and shocks (they look to be original with over 150k so they need to be replaced) but the car sits pretty high and wouldn't both sides rub?

Could it be the alignment? More positive camber on that side? It has stock rear suspension so is there any camber adjustment?

Worst case I guess I can roll the fender edge to get a little more clearance.

Thoughts/suggestions?

The wheel is correct fitment, the tire size is 7/10ths taller then the tallest recommended. You are pushing height and the slight variation in height of the car from one side to the other is fairly normal, even straight out of the factory so not necessarily suspension related, though a refresh may help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Seth. I wish I woulda known to mention you when ordering as I got the set up from you guys. I know that svt focus's run pretty much the same tire (true dimension, not metric size) at a lower stock height so I wouldn't think it would be a big issue. The 205/55/16 is also a pretty common winter tire size.

I'm gonna start with the cheapest option and try to bend the fender lip back against itself a little more as it doesn't seem like a large interference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts