·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to repair a hole on the bead. Heard about a possible intertube

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
i think once you get a hole in the bead..its done for..

the reason being...it doesnt seat well and you could have a possible blow out.

its just not safe

·
Registered
542 Posts
[werd] the bead is the piece of steel going around the edge where the tire meets the rim...I'm not sure it's possible to repair it to the point of it would be reliable in the long run

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"

I agree with the above.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Still not safe, unless its in the tread, probably gonna have to replace it.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
229 Posts
No reputable tire shop will repair that tire. For one, the tire flexes at the sidewall, and a patch just won't hold contact. Second, like has been said above, there are steel belts on the sidewall. Once there is a puncture on the sidewall, the integrity of the tire has been compromised. That little puncture will spread quick, resulting in a blow out.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
No reputable tire shop will repair that tire. For one, the tire flexes at the sidewall, and a patch just won't hold contact. Second, like has been said above, there are steel belts on the sidewall. Once there is a puncture on the sidewall, the integrity of the tire has been compromised. That little puncture will spread quick, resulting in a blow out.
While I tend to agree with what your saying I want to add a few points of clarification. While there's often steel belts in the bead there's rarely steel belts in the sidewall. Sidewalls are made mostly of just nylon, polyester, etc. belts. Steel belts are commonly found in the tread plies.

Having rallied for a while, and with a budget that didn't allow for lots of tire replacement, (especially if the damaged tire had lots of good tread left) I admittedly had some punctures in sidewalls repaired. Depending on the size of the hole and where in the sidewall the hole was determined whether it was repaired or not. Sometimes we used tubes (they still make them for car tires and they will work in a tubeless tire) or sometimes an internal patch (never a plug). Internal patches were not just glued in but went through a fairly involved process including grinding, heating, and clamping the patch in for a period of time (how truck tires are repaired). Granted, few shops are really set up or willing to do this, but it did work.

Cheap as I am, I personally would never repair a tire with a damaged bead or a sidewall just below the bead, even if I could find a shop willing to do it. The best bet is to trust the advise of a reputable tire shop regarding any repairs.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Can't be fixed and you will not be able to get anyone to do it anyway.
Anything can be fixed, it just might not be a good idea to do so. I mean, you can recap tires, recycle them from the woods and all sorts of other crap.

However, it might just work out better and safer to try and find a used tire. That would keep down expense and if you have a place that recaps you might even be able to trade the one with a hole for a further discount.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts