1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else using these?
Firestone FireHawk GTA.
I have had the car for 5 months.
I have had five flats....all different tires.
The valve stem guts are coming loose and resulting in slow leaks.
Is this normal on these tires???
Hoping its not someone screwing with my tires....but we are pretty far out in the country.
Any input appreciated-Thanks!
Bought the car used....tires are brand new....but no warranty on them through Ford.
Pumping them up,they hold air,submerging them shows no leaks.what is going on here?

·
Registered
227 Posts
No Problems With Firehawk GTA 02s

My 2003 Focus ZTS has about 15K miles and absolutely no problems with the Firestones. Not one flat tire, no visible wear, and they hold air fairly well. I keep them at about 36 to 37 psi.

FYI

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 2002 ZX5 with Firehawk GTA tires since May 2006 and I never had any problems yet even even if the 2 front tires are pretty well used.Maybe your wife want to keep you home ha ha.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Check your rims, maybe they have a small leak somewhere? When I had the firehawks on my car when i purchased the car, they lasted me about 9-10k miles after I got the car, and were prolly the originals cuz i replaced the tires at 35k miles on the odometer. Maybe you got a bad batch the ones that caused all of those SUVs to flip over a few years back.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The GTA's were standard on the optional 16" wheel package in the early years of the focus production. I had what turned out to be a screw in one of my passenger wheels, had it plugged and was fine for a while. Then I had a slow leak on the same tire. The plug wasn't there (on the outside anyway) but held air for about a week at a time. NOw I'm thinking it wasnt the plug but the tire. I know these had a recall in a different size, but there is a possibility these are defective too. Firestone, probably like most big companies, wont make a recall unless it proves to be more profitable in the long run (due to replacement and lawsuits, etc)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really think its the tires themselves.
Tires are sealed correctly as submerging them would show the leaks.
Again yesterday...front right tire had dropped to 25 psi.
Love my car....Hate these tires.
Stuck with them until I save for new ones.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have read in car magazines these tire suck.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Did you buy them direct from a dealer? If you did, did they install them? I would go back to them and complain, they may have said no warranty, but it is amazing what voicing your opinion to a manager can do (trust me, I work at a furniture/appliance/electronics store....). I don't see how they can sold them to you with NO warranty.

My Focus had these on them when I bought it, but I replaced them after about eight months. Granted, my car had 74000 miles on it when I bought it, and these were original equipment (most likely).

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No,they were on the car when I bought it used from a Ford dealer.

·
Registered
280 Posts
^^Talking never hurts, and besides if you they want to keep you a happy customer they will try to help. Just be firm and polite, sometimes that's all it takes. I just replaced my GTAs last fall (OEM on my 03). I went to TOYO Proxes 4s. Very nice tires, and used about 1/2 the weights on the factory rims.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^^Yeah, being firm but remaining polite is the key. You need to make your feelings known, but not in an angry way.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will try.Dont know if it will help or not....But its worth a shot.
Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts