Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a really noob question but does anyone have a definite tire pressure for rims.

They are 215 45 R17

I’ve been told 30 psi

I’ve been told 25 psi

I’ve been told 35 psi

so could somebody tell me the stock psi please. Trying to save fuel in my focus.

cheers. [scratch]

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Check the door jam for this info or even the gas filler lid. My 08 says 34psi

·
WOOT!!!
1,408 Posts
Mine says 34 up front and 32 in the back.. i just put it up to 34 all the way around

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If you are using different wheel sizes, yes it would matter. If you are using the same size wheel then no it doesn't matter. Check the recommended psi on the tire. I think the Pirellis on my 08 actually have a max psi of 36, the recommended for the car is 34.

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
The higher your psi is, the better fuel economy you will get. However, it may balloon your tires and cause them to wear funny. You'll need to check the specs on the tire you use but I like to run at least 35 lbs on the street , usually I run around 36-38.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya, check w/ the rim manufacturer, I'm supposed to run 45 psi or better in my 215/45/17's

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
^Holy hell.

What tires are you using? Sounds more like a MAX psi to me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The best way is make a chalk line across the tread, from one side of the tire to the other. Drive in a straight line on flat ground for a short distance. Check the chalk line. If it's wore out in the middle, let some air out. Worn out on the sides, more air. The idea is to have the chalk wear evenly. Only then will you know when you have the proper inflation.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
to be safe, i would just look at the sidewall of the tire...what's posted in the door frame could be difference if the tire is different than what was stock...also, sometimes what is said on the sticker and what is actually required isn't the same...you might just want to double check

·
Registered
41 Posts
Use what your door sticker says. Though my SVT says to run 32 front and 29 rear I actually go up about 2 psi front and rear for around town driving. Do not pump your tires up to the max pressure stated on the sidewalls. It will ride like a rock and you will get uneven tire wear.

If you have any hesitation at all on what pressures to run just call the manufacture of the tire and ask to speak with an engineer. You will usually be able to talk to someone, tell them what car you drive (you might need to tell them overall curb weight and weight distribution).

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I use the GS-D3s from goodyear. max psi is 55 psi!! I have very even wear too!! not buldging anywhere and not messed up around the sides!! thats what I've always ran, and i get really good treadlife!! well, at least for how i drive!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys you have been great. Big thanks to all who posted... i would be lost without ya.

Am now at 32 psi and she seems to ride and turn much much better. Thanks.

Oh by the way the tyres are Toyo proxy TR-1's i think.

Thnaks again.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
If you're into sporty driving, you want enough air in your tires. Make heavy, wide chalk marks from the edge of the tread to about 1 inch up the sidewalls. Do that in 3 places around the circumference of one of the front tires. Then corner heavily around some parking lot someplace- hard enough to make it slide- and check to see, by looking at the chalkmarks, how far the tread is rolling under in cornering. About 1/2 inch up the sidewall is OK. More than that and the tire is too soft, too little and it might be too hard. Don't be afraid to use higher pressures than you're maybe used to, but if it gets too high, you'll start losing traction because the tire is too hard.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
to be safe, i would just look at the sidewall of the tire...what's posted in the door frame could be difference if the tire is different than what was stock...also, sometimes what is said on the sticker and what is actually required isn't the same...you might just want to double check

That is a DO NOT EXCEED pressure. It has nothing to do with what should be used. And what should be used is no where near that number. Start with the door pressure. If you increased the wheel size and/or tire size MINOR adjustments may be required. Overinflation can be just as bad as underinflation. Tirerack has some good advise on this issue in their Tech section.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Always check the door jams or vehicle manufacturers specs. I love it when people come into my shop and the tire pressures are so high that my tire gauge can't read them.lol. Then I ask them what they filled it to and they say the max pressure number thats on the sidewall. then they wonder why they get such a hard ride.

·
Registered
708 Posts
36 front, 37 rear. Once the front warms up, it should pop up to 38psi.

Tires i've done this for and seen improvements:
Toyo Proxes 4
Michelin Pilot Sport

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
stop the bullshit right now. You should never run the tire max psi in any situation on the road. The max psi on the tire sidewall has absolutely nothing to do with what and why engineers have figured out the cars pressures. They spend time and money finding the psi for best wear and comfort and safety and mpg. If you are full loaded it's ok to increase a couple psi but under no circumstance should you run anything but what the manufacture calls for. unless you are willing to suffer the consequnces.

PSI too low

Sever edge wear, decreased mpg, ability for the tire bead to come off the rim if you hit a curb.

PSI too high

Center wear, higher rollover risk (think ford explorer, originally they called for 26psi but dipshits thought that the tire looked low at 26 psi and increased the pressures without a gauge to astronomical amounts), and ability for the tire to blow out if you hit a pot hole.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts