Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2012 SEL. We get serious winter here in Westsylvania, and I'll likely order winters and rims from the Tire Rack.
My question regards the sensors to make the low pressure warnings on the tires. I put winters on my Fit, and it would have required a dealer reflash every time I seasonally changed tires. My bride's panzer requires no such adjustment; you just put the winters on and go.

How does it work on the Focus? Will it require sensors in the rims or some reprogramming by the dealer in order to put on different tires and rims?
Thnx,
Moon

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm just up the road from ya and my experience with alloys is as long as you regularly hose them clean over the winter they hold up well. I have an SEL hatchback and will probably run my aloys for at least 2 winters till they won't work well for winter anymore. Maybe then if I have the scratch I'll get some winter irons for it......

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm just up the road from ya and my experience with alloys is as long as you regularly hose them clean over the winter they hold up well. I have an SEL hatchback and will probably run my aloys for at least 2 winters till they won't work well for winter anymore. Maybe then if I have the scratch I'll get some winter irons for it......
I think he's talking about having a dedicated set of steelies to mount snow tires on... not the potential damage to his alloys.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looks like I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2012 SEL. We get serious winter here in Westsylvania, and I'll likely order winters and rims from the Tire Rack.
My question regards the sensors to make the low pressure warnings on the tires. I put winters on my Fit, and it would have required a dealer reflash every time I seasonally changed tires. My bride's panzer requires no such adjustment; you just put the winters on and go.

How does it work on the Focus? Will it require sensors in the rims or some reprogramming by the dealer in order to put on different tires and rims?
Thnx,
Moon
I wonder about this too. I'd like to put steelies on the car and wonder if this means purchasing a new set of sensors plus having the dealer program them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Up here in VT the dealers and branded garages won't touch a set of rims without the TPMS installed. It's because NHT can come down on them hard for defeating a government mandated safety device. Either do it yourself or spend the money for the extra set of sensors. Additionally, you will not be able to get an inspection with non-compliant rims of the car as the dash light will be on. This is all from the government sticking its nose in your business.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh, I understood him perfectly. Just don't see much sense in putting a set of iron rims on a car unless it is strictly for convenience. You just need to eventually put good rubber on the alloys for Cambria and surrounding county weather.

Now if you question the factory rubber's snow performance.... I normally drive factory tires 2 winters then replace with a GOOD set of M&S rated all seasons. Shop around. My local guy always hooks me up with a good set of aggressive all seasons that work just fine. In my experience factory rubber is for touring and is worthless for winter driving at approx. 20k miles. IMHO its throwing money away too early in the ball game. The factory rubber on my SEL will be "ok" for a winter or two. I just went through this exact same thing with my Fusion.....[:)]

I think he's talking about having a dedicated set of steelies to mount snow tires on... not the potential damage to his alloys.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
241 Posts
I put 16" Volvo wheels on my 2012, and reused the factory tires and TPMS sensors from the steel wheels. The repair shop had to buy 4 valve stem clips to reuse the sensors, but they worked fine. Although I still have the steel wheels and caps, I plan to buy another set of Volvo wheels for dedicated winter rated tires (which will require new TPMS sensors.

In terms of the snow tires, IMO you should avoid anything marked "all-season" and buy winter-rated tires that are designed to be used in the snow. I have used Pirelli 210 SottoZero winter tires on my Mustang for several years with great results, and will likely get the same tires for the Focus.

EDIT: And I will most likely be selling my steel wheels and caps for anybody looking for a set of winter rims.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This thread confuses me... I'm pretty sure TPMS can be reused, but what confuses me is that you guys have to buy different tires for different seasons?!?!?

You mean it dips below 60 during the winter months?! :p

Nice and cool today at 99 with 55% humidity.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension'"

·
Banned
571 Posts
Every time you mount and unmount tires on rims, you're risking damage to the rims, the tires or both. It just adds more wear and tear. Separate rims are better over the long haul IMHO.

·
Registered
495 Posts
as far as i understand, your "low tire pressure" light will always be on unless you reflash your sensors for new replacements. I think any car after 09 has valve stem sensors (instead of the belt ones) which can be a little pricey...but if your willing to spend the money on an additional set for your winter setup...i think you can get a device to flash them yourself though...?

·
Registered
190 Posts

Thnx,
Moon
The Ford sensors on the 2012 models are attached the wheel and will require a reset. You have the option of taking it to a dealership each time you switch the wheels or buying a triggering tool so that you can do it yourself. The tool is only $45 and I would highly recommend this because the dealership will likely charge you each time you need the reset. Plus, you can do it in your own driveway.

You can also opt out of getting sensors on the winter set entirely but a light will stay illuminated on the dash due to the system not getting a read from any sensors. It's up to you.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Miles, are you aware of any other 'annoyances' caused by not using the sensors, short of the light staying on? Does it beep all the time?

Don't mind the light, but don't want the car screeching at me all the time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
There is a chime when the car is started but it doesn't keep beeping as you drive.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
My two cents fwiw.........like a lot of others, I have cars with TPMS and use snow tires without sensors on all of them. As far as I know there is no law that prohibits using tires and wheels without sensors on a car originally equipped with them. You can get use to the light fairly quickly or you can temporarily cover it with a piece of black tape if it really bugs you. As mentioned earlier, the only control is essentially that tire dealers cannot knowingly ignore the requirement. Cars were driven for 100 years or so and billions of miles without TPMS. It's not like things will go to hell if you choose not to use them. If you are conscientious, responsible, and regularly check your tire pressure (as everyone should.... TPMS or no TPMS) there's no real downside in not using them on seasonal tires. Waiting for the light to come on to then check pressure is just plain dumb. If you're in a state that requires periodic inspections simply put the wheels equipped with the sensors on for the inspection.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, could anyone help me with a picture of these tp sensors fitted to the Mk3 Foci's. We've had loads of issues with corrosion with the valve stems and the aloys wheels here in the UK leading to the stems breaking.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks for the great high-tech answer TireRack!

.. I normally drive factory tires 2 winters then replace with a GOOD set of M&S rated all seasons.
I'm gonna give the factory rubber one winter as suggested by Bricc and make decision a from there.

This is probably a dumb question but with std Titanium (and SEL) wheels-Painted Aluminum, do you guys wax these with regular car wax for protection??

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Ford sensors on the 2012 models are attached the wheel and will require a reset. You have the option of taking it to a dealership each time you switch the wheels or buying a triggering tool so that you can do it yourself. The tool is only $45 and I would highly recommend this because the dealership will likely charge you each time you need the reset. Plus, you can do it in your own driveway.

You can also opt out of getting sensors on the winter set entirely but a light will stay illuminated on the dash due to the system not getting a read from any sensors. It's up to you.
Okay, tells me exactly what I wanted to know. You guys sold me tires for the Fit, and I've cheerfully ignored the light winter long. I'd prefer the warning system to work, so I'll be pricing tires and rims from you folks before the snow flies...if you're not beating me up too badly for the sensors, I'll get some. They will cost how much as part of a tire package?
The Fit has an October inspection date, so the tire pressure monitor light never became an issue...really hadn't given it a second thought.
At least the Focus comes with a spare, unlike the Elantra that we also test-hopped. Will a full size tire fit in the Focus' well?
Moon

·
Registered
190 Posts
Okay, tells me exactly what I wanted to know. You guys sold me tires for the Fit, and I've cheerfully ignored the light winter long. I'd prefer the warning system to work, so I'll be pricing tires and rims from you folks before the snow flies...if you're not beating me up too badly for the sensors, I'll get some. They will cost how much as part of a tire package?
The Fit has an October inspection date, so the tire pressure monitor light never became an issue...really hadn't given it a second thought.
At least the Focus comes with a spare, unlike the Elantra that we also test-hopped. Will a full size tire fit in the Focus' well?
Moon
I'm glad the light didn't drive you nuts. There are a lot of people who buy the pack, install it, and drive straight to a hardware store to buy electrical tape to cover the light up [:)~]

We have the Schrader sensor in question for $41 a piece right now.

About the spare - I'm not too sure. We don't measure the well and I haven't heard from anybody on here who has tried it on a 2012.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm glad the light didn't drive you nuts. There are a lot of people who buy the pack, install it, and drive straight to a hardware store to buy electrical tape to cover the light up [:)~]

We have the Schrader sensor in question for $41 a piece right now.

About the spare - I'm not too sure. We don't measure the well and I haven't heard from anybody on here who has tried it on a 2012.
I may have to put up with the light. Till I pay for the sensors plus the gizmo to reset, we're looking at $200. We'll see; don't even have the car yet!
Moon

1 - 20 of 28 Posts