Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if it's standard or optional on 2014s? I have misplaced my owners manual :(

·
Registered
307 Posts
You get the TPMS on all models if you like it or not [screwy]

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
You get the TPMS on all models if you like it or not [screwy]
Not! Just another part to charge people $100, that isn't needed. Sure it's a cool feature but legally required? Lol

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The in-wheel TPMS part is $87 EACH, list price, as a ford part.
What a rip off.
Some parts guys say secretly you can offer them $42 each and they should take it...
On eBay the prices are totally all over the place, and the best honest OE parts seem to be going for $80 for a set of FOUR.
(I just ordered a set of four from eBay for my extra Winter wheels)

I was going to just skip them if they were gonna' be $80 each.. But if the $80 for four works out then I am OK with that.

Anyway yes TPMS is for stupid people who cannot be bothered to check their tires once a month. (I look at all Four tires before I get in the car to drive every time I take it out)
Now for Run flat tires they are a real requirement. But for the rest of us???

As for the owners manual, download a new one from Ford. Takes all of two seconds.....
link: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&gnav=header-owners

You do not need to 'log in' or sign in to download a copy.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Only a year until backup cameras are required....

Someone should save me from myself... Can't be bothered to make sure the wheels are on...

Hang onto your steering wheels, the day will come when they're not allowed to be used on the hwy..

No responsibility results in no freedom.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I asked is because on my way to work today it sounded like I had a flat but I stopped to check and all 4 were good. Then I got to thinking, wait shouldn't this thing have a sensor to tell me a tire is low? And then I couldn't remember if it was in my options list. And that led to the question at hand. Savvy? Thanks for the replies fellas, I had no idea it was federally mandated. Leave it to the gubment to intrude every mundane detail of our lives.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I kind of like having a TPMS system (even if it's a basic one like on our Fords).

My mom had a 2007 Fusion. Lost 2 perfectly fine tires because she drove on them flat and apparently had no idea that they were flat until they completely ruined... Would have saved the cost of expensive new tires.

I always hated that if it had been a 2008 Fusion, it would have had a TPMS!

·
Registered
368 Posts
TPMS has saved me the cost of getting new tires three times on previous vehicles: it let me know I had a problem before the tire was too flat to drive on. When I did a physical check of the tires I had either a nail or a drywall screw in one of the tires. The leaks were slow leaks, so I was able to fill the affected tire with air to get me to a tire store for repair before the tire was damaged further.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
TPMS has saved me the cost of getting new tires three times on previous vehicles: it let me know I had a problem before the tire was too flat to drive on. When I did a physical check of the tires I had either a nail or a drywall screw in one of the tires. The leaks were slow leaks, so I was able to fill the affected tire with air to get me to a tire store for repair before the tire was damaged further.
^ This. Even a vigilant driver who regularly checks their pressure with a gauge may run over a nail or road debris that causes a slow leak while they are driving. TPMS will warn you before the tire goes flat. If you drive on a severely deflated tire, a heat ring develops that compromises the sidewall and the tire may become unsalvageable. Even though the tire might still be able to hold air if patched, most tire shops will not repair a tire with a heat ring for liability reasons.

Heat ring:

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
The TPMS in the Focus is useless. I put on winter wheels without any TPMS, but I still park right next to my summer wheels w/ TPMS.

Leaving, the car will pickup the TPMS, but when I drive off, it won't notice there is a problem until at least 20+ miles/45+ minutes. Stop and go traffic mind you.

My parents' Buick lets them see each individual tire pressure through a menu in the dash while driving. Much more useful.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
The TPMS in the Focus is useless. I put on winter wheels without any TPMS, but I still park right next to my summer wheels w/ TPMS.

Leaving, the car will pickup the TPMS, but when I drive off, it won't notice there is a problem until at least 20+ miles/45+ minutes. Stop and go traffic mind you.

My parents' Buick lets them see each individual tire pressure through a menu in the dash while driving. Much more useful.

EDIT: Just found this (credit to PratoN):

"When the vehicle is stationary, the TPM may periodically transmit to the vehicle. This allows (as long as the vehicle receiver is always on) the driver or vehicle operator to be warned of low pressure as soon as the Ignition system is switched on rather than having to wait until the vehicle is moving."

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
TPMS sensors do not transmit when they are not rotating to save battery life.

No rotation= no signal to monitor.
Same reason that pressurized ABS pipe (with TPMS) sensor in the trunk won't work.

This is *******!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
TPMS can be a nice "aid", can't prevent stupidity.

See light on, tires "look" OK, keep driving until tire is totally flat & shreds.

I see JUST as many TPMS equipped vehicles driving on flat tires as I did before TPMS was implemented - even though I know it saves some from doing so.

Totally unscientific observation, if it wasn't ignored you'd see fewer of those IMHO.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
TPMS can be a nice "aid", can't prevent stupidity.

See light on, tires "look" OK, keep driving until tire is totally flat & shreds.

I see JUST as many TPMS equipped vehicles driving on flat tires as I did before TPMS was implemented - even though I know it saves some from doing so.

Totally unscientific observation, if it wasn't ignored you'd see fewer of those IMHO.
I think the problem is some folks have no idea what the light even is for.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The reason I asked is because on my way to work today it sounded like I had a flat but I stopped to check and all 4 were good. Then I got to thinking, wait shouldn't this thing have a sensor to tell me a tire is low? And then I couldn't remember if it was in my options list. And that led to the question at hand. Savvy? Thanks for the replies fellas, I had no idea it was federally mandated. Leave it to the gubment to intrude every mundane detail of our lives.
I wish ford would have put a little more forethought into the tpms system. Most cars I've been in have a digital readout of the current pressure of each tire. This system just screams one of the four tires in use is low, now go find out which.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I wish ford would have put a little more forethought into the tpms system. Most cars I've been in have a digital readout of the current pressure of each tire. This system just screams one of the four tires in use is low, now go find out which.
It is just an economy car you know?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts