Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all models of the new 2012 focus have TPM's? Wondering cause living here in the prairies I plan on getting a second set of winter wheels and tires. Just wondering if I need to find TPM's for the second set. If so, any ideas and to where I can find them other than the stealership?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Tpms

I too am planning on getting a dedicated set of winter wheels / tires for my Ti when it arrives. Besides being more economical to buy, I think the 15" wheels will fit the bill since they are narrower and will have more bite in the snow.

Tire Rack is yet to have TPMS available aftermarket to include w/ a tire / wheel package. I believe that Ez-Sensor from Schrader International will be an aftermarket solution... read somewhere that Schrader is the OEM for Ford TPMS. VDO also makes a sensor that they say will fit 90% of Ford, GM & Chrysler Applications.

I'm sure we will have options by September / October.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, does it actually need TPMS, the deflation detection system on all uk cars use the abs sensors to detect when a tyre is losing its air pressure.
Chris

·
Registered
781 Posts
yes, there's a sensor in each tire on the valve stem. at least here in the US. if you have tires without the sensor you'll have the annoying light on all the time.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hi, does it actually need TPMS, the deflation detection system on all uk cars use the abs sensors to detect when a tyre is losing its air pressure.
Chris
I have a '06 Toyota Sienna w/ TPMS integrated into the ABS system. It works great and you can use any wheel w/o having to buy individual TPMS sensors.

I don't know about the UK, but I believe that in the States the individual wheel sensors are required now.

The vehicle will operate fine w/o them, but a warning light will be on the dash most of the time. There is a discussion on about the tire pressure light somewhere here @ Focus Fanatics.

Unlike GM which is tire specific, the Ford TPMS only let's you know that pressure is low in general. Hmm, that sounds just like the ABS system that is so convenient ... go figure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
yes, there's a sensor in each tire on the valve stem. at least here in the US. if you have tires without the sensor you'll have the annoying light on all the time.
Annoying warnig light I can live with as long as there's also no annoying chime like my Pontiac G8GT had. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
683 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, I hope we're not confused, as I said the tyre deflation detection system system in the uk Mk3 foci does not require the valve sensors to work. It uses the abs system to detect the speed of the wheel in relation to the diameter, thus no tpms valve are fitted from new, and no warning light either. I'm wondering why the system is different is the US as I would have thought there would have to be a radical change in production methods. Is it mandatory that your DDS must have the tps valves and not able to use the same system as in Europe?
Chris

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension"

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, well agreed, however it might have been better put...
Chris

·
Registered
190 Posts
ABS is much more cost effective for the consumer without a doubt. But it's not the best system for measuring low air pressure. The ABS (indirect) TPMS sensors measure tire revolutions in relation to each other so it's possible (albeit not likely) that all four tires could loose air simultaneously at a slow rate and no warning would every show because they're all spinning at the same speed. Also ABS can't tell the specific tire pressure like a direct sensor could.

I'm not advocating one system over the other, just offering a different perspective.

Here's some info about the new 2012 sensors:
"The Ford sensors on the 2012 models are attached the wheel and will require a reset. You have the option of taking it to a dealership each time you switch the wheels or buying a triggering tool so that you can do it yourself. The tool is only $45 and I would highly recommend this because the dealership will likely charge you each time you need the reset. Plus, you can do it in your own driveway.

You can also opt out of getting sensors on the winter set entirely but a light will stay illuminated on the dash due to the system not getting a read from any sensors. It's up to you. "

·
Registered
495 Posts
ABS is much more cost effective for the consumer without a doubt. But it's not the best system for measuring low air pressure. The ABS (indirect) TPMS sensors measure tire revolutions in relation to each other so it's possible (albeit not likely) that all four tires could loose air simultaneously at a slow rate and no warning would every show because they're all spinning at the same speed. Also ABS can't tell the specific tire pressure like a direct sensor could.

I'm not advocating one system over the other, just offering a different perspective.

Here's some info about the new 2012 sensors:
"The Ford sensors on the 2012 models are attached the wheel and will require a reset. You have the option of taking it to a dealership each time you switch the wheels or buying a triggering tool so that you can do it yourself. The tool is only $45 and I would highly recommend this because the dealership will likely charge you each time you need the reset. Plus, you can do it in your own driveway.

You can also opt out of getting sensors on the winter set entirely but a light will stay illuminated on the dash due to the system not getting a read from any sensors. It's up to you. "
wait...i didnt think any of the focus had an ABS indirect system..?

·
Registered
229 Posts
ahhhh i see you have an 09 too....lol...you mean you dont like the belt ones?! [scream]
It sucked swapping the sensors over to my new wheels. Cut-off tools should never have to be used on wheels. And the new bands I got were for up to 22" wheels, so I ended up having to trim off a lot of length from the band. Last time I rotated my tires, I heard something rattling around inside the tire. I thought to myself, [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*, my sensor must have come off the clip. Nope, it was actually a piece of the band that I left a little length on and it broke off somehow.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, this thread was transfered from the Mk3 Focus forum, hence the reason for individuals being confused by some of the posts....
Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts