Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you suggest a tire gauge. I would guess the dial reading style is more accurate than the pencil type ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use a Longacre liquid filled gauge. Longacre sells quality equipment that many racers trust, so any gauge from them should be fine for the occasional user.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a Slime dial gauge and a pencil gauge by Victor? They both give the same readings.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just bough this one last week from Amazon, must have been on sale though as I bought it with Prime and shipped to my house it was $8.87

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00080QHMM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works well and has an easy to read illuminated display. My last pencil style one fell apart in my pocket, so it needed replacing and i wanted something less fragile/easier to read.
I have owned gauge very similar to this for the better part of 15 years. For what it's worth, the ONLY problem I've had with it is that it will not work when it's below about 30 degrees F.
I always keep a gauge in my car, and on cold mornings I'd have to throw it in my pocket for 5-10 minutes to warm the battery up before it worked.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I have owned gauge very similar to this for the better part of 15 years. For what it's worth, the ONLY problem I've had with it is that it will not work when it's below about 30 degrees F.
I always keep a gauge in my car, and on cold mornings I'd have to throw it in my pocket for 5-10 minutes to warm the battery up before it worked.
Ill test it out this evening... tossed it in my glove box last night and its been in the teens all day. Im glad that a warm pocket can get it working again but id prefer it to work rihgt away [:)]

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I tested the gauge out this morning, left gauge in car over night. Outside temperature when tested was -6. Work just fine on the first try [:)]

Down 1.5psi compared to when i tested it a few days ago when it was 'warm' [hihi]

·
Registered
57 Posts
I tested the gauge out this morning, left gauge in car over night. Outside temperature when tested was -6. Work just fine on the first try [:)]

Down 1.5psi compared to when i tested it a few days ago when it was 'warm' [hihi]
Good to know, thanks for the update. I'm guessing they've changed battery type since I bought mine to something that is more cold weather compatible. [thumb]

·
Registered
290 Posts
Joe Racing - made in USA, includes the rubber protector, and has very good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00404WDUC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had a few pencil gauges and assumed one of them was accurate, but darnit for years I was slightly underinflating my tires - arg!!!!

PS: I like this air pump (hassle to use my air compressor just to add 1 or 2 pounds of air): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RVUXMU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its gauge is not accurate but close enough and "repeatable" - the small error is consistent though, so I know how much pressure to put in using this gauge roughly, then I use the Joe Racing gauge to let a bit of air out until I get to what I want (37lbs).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Slime 2071-A digital. Accurate, consistent, cheap ($13) enough to keep one in each car and in the tool set at home.
For an inflator the cheapest one at Harbor Freight (if it comes with a gauge just ignore the gauge).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts