Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered new snows for my new ST: 215/50R-17 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 XL.

What pressure should these run at? Is the Ford pressure recommendation valid for these tires? (It seems the switch from 18" to 17" must make a difference, and maybe winter vs. summer too.)

·
Registered
495 Posts
The manufacturer of the tire usually prints a Max tire pressure on the sidewall of the tire. You should always follow the tire pressure as recommended by Ford as long as it is below the tire manufacturers Max psi.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Tire pressure recommendations should be the same between summer and winter tires. However as you said, there may be a variance between 18" and 17" tires although I don't know what they are. You should have the numbers in your owners manual (if they still give those things out with new cars) or sometimes they are written on the inside edge of your doors.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I ordered new snows for my new ST: 215/50R-17 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 XL.

What pressure should these run at? Is the Ford pressure recommendation valid for these tires? (It seems the switch from 18" to 17" must make a difference, and maybe winter vs. summer too.)
The stock 235/40R18 and a 215/50R17 have an identical load capacity under normal driving conditions at the 36psi door sticker specified by Ford.

Obviously don't exceed the snow tire's speed rating.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock 235/40R18 and a 215/50R17 have an identical load capacity under normal driving conditions at the 36psi door sticker specified by Ford.

Obviously don't exceed the snow tire's speed rating.
I called TireRack and they confirmed what jsr72 says.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts