Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just go my Silver 2012 Focus SE Hatch and I noticed that after I go above a bout 40mph, the tires start making this sort of elongated moaning noise, that comes and goes as you drive. It's nothing with the engine or the steering or brakes, because they all work as they should.

I have the 16" Alloy rims that come with the SE sport package, and the Continental tires (OEM). Has anyone else experienced this?? Is the OEM tire just got an aggressive tread, or does it need to break in a little???

(Car only has 120 miles on it now).

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have the same rims/tires as you and the Continental tires can be a bit on the noisy side in my opinion, especially when going over broken pavement. The noise was much worse when they were overinflated, so check your pressures. Do it when the tires are cold.

I suspect the 'moaning' noise you describe is simply because of the texture of the road surface, and I bet it will disappear completely if you can find a properly paved road in good condition. This is somewhat hard to do in my neck of the woods, heheh.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine also has Continental tires. It's an SEL so I don't know if they are the same model but I think they are noisy tires. I haven't heard the exact noise you describe but they definitely are noisy unless the pavement is very smooth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Certainly the tyres make a huge difference, especially on an estate. I once fitted budget tyres on the rears of a Mondeo and they where horribly noisy. The conties are poor, try Pirelli's that's my choice these days.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the car to the dealer... noise I'm hearing is not tire related. They think is probably is something in the CV joint maybe or possibly a bearing. The also went out on a limb to say it could also be the transmission too, which sucks....

Well, it's going back for it's full diagnostic in a week (they couldn't do it today because of saturday hours, and they only have lub express people on saturdays at most dealers---the real Ford certified techs only really work during the week, at least at my local dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts