Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure I will be able to get my new wheels come spring, maybe sooner. But, I have since learned that my tire selection (Toyo Proxie 4) has a problem with noise. I have also learned that the 'summer performance' tires are intended largely for dry surfaces. I need input plz on a tire (205/50/16) that performs well in the summer, but is also good on wet/rainy/flooded (as in hydroplaning potential) surfaces. It should be usable to ~40 degrees. A 'cool' looking tread pattern is a plus but not the primary consideration. I currently have the Pirilli P6 which I have no complaints with, but I also have no way to compare it to another tire type or brand. Oh! these are intended for the street only. My Focus is lowered 1.5" with a -1.3 camber in the rear.
Tire should be able to go 20K miles at a minimum before replacement is warrented.
Thanks!!!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I like the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tire. it is treadwear 280 and is very good in wet weather. for hydroplaning, i don't know, i never have, but then again, i don't go over big puddles!! but wet traction is VERY good!! there expensive, but worth it!!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. OK. its on the list. But there only $56 each at Tirerack and marked as a closeout. Its also a 'run flat' if I am reading this correctly. I thought I had read somewhere that you were not supposed to put 'run flats' on the Focus.
Nice looking tread pattern.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the Potenza RE-960 Pole Positions have been replace by the Potenza RE050A Pole Position?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hankook K106....I run them on my svt and my sister runs them on her 05 zx3....great tire with excellent wear and even works halfway decent in the snow!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you all think of Yokohama S. drive? Or Yokohama in general?

Oh! I should have mentioned... My budget is ~$120 per tire

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hankook K106....I run them on my svt and my sister runs them on her 05 zx3....great tire with excellent wear and even works halfway decent in the snow!
Hmm. Tirerack no longer shows these tires mrfatride. What were they replace with if you know?

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza g019 grid is the replacement for My Potenza g009, a considerable upgrade IMO. Very low road noise, respectable treadwear, good on wet roads...and they look cool too!

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Check out the BfGoodrich G-force super sport A/S. I have them on my car. They do awesome in the dry and handle extremely well. And I read you like wet ability too. Well up here in Seattle last night we had an absolute downpour for about a half hour. I mean insane rain. I was on the freeway going around 60MPH through this. Hit a few big puddles, ran behind some semis and other cars and the tires never hydroplaned and never pulled a lot going through those puddles. Really just swept the rain out from under it and went right through no problem. Felt really safe.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
you cannot compare treadwear ratings from differnt tire manfacutures, they all have their own tests to determine treadwear ratings, and shouldnt be used to compare tires from lets say goodyear, and BfGoodrich, because they test the treadwear on their tires differently. and a 300 from gy isnt the same 300 you would get from BFG, just a little fyi

having said that, ive always been a big fan of BfGoodrich tires, and i reccomend the G-force sports as does jetrinka, they grip the road and cut through anything you throw at it with realtive ease, they are a great tire and should be a decent price in the size your looking for.

if your looking for something a little more than the sport then BFG g-force KDW for extreme grip and performance, they wont be AS good as the sports in the rain, but will still give you the confidence you need to make it through on a rainy day. and they are the coolest looking tire you can buy IMO

if you chose either one of those tires you will be very happy with your new shoes [thumb]

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I like the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tire. it is treadwear 280 and is very good in wet weather. for hydroplaning, i don't know, i never have, but then again, i don't go over big puddles!! but wet traction is VERY good!! there expensive, but worth it!!
They are on sale right ow on a closeout at tire rack for like 50 something each. great tire, just keep em rotated.

Maybe try the BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Super Sport (Great All Season tire), or even the Nitto Neo-Gen.

Check out tire rack and read some reviews, that will help alot. if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me as I'm a tire junky. I used to sell them about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. OK. its on the list. But there only $56 each at Tirerack and marked as a closeout. Its also a 'run flat' if I am reading this correctly.
Thanks
No no. Goodyear uses the EMT to denote the runflat [thumb] It would read like this if it were a run flat: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 EMT

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well up here in Seattle last night we had an absolute downpour for about a half hour. I mean insane rain. I was on the freeway going around 60MPH through this. Hit a few big puddles, ran behind some semis and other cars and the tires never hydroplaned and never pulled a lot going through those puddles. Really just swept the rain out from under it and went right through no problem. Felt really safe.
Ya! We call them the "Monsoons" here (Spring/Fall mainly). We get lots of 'puddles' ~ 1-3 inches deep and several yards long on the freeways. They are freaking scary! Especially the ones on the curves.
I went with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 from TireRack. I did a compare on all of the tires you mentioned plus the OEM P6's that are on it currently. The Eagle F1 GS-D3 is rated pretty highly in all aspects that I was concerned with. They are rated highest for wet weather handling and don't do so bad dry either. But I have to admit. $56 bucks each! For that price I can afford to experiment a little. If they wear quickly or have some other issue, well, its not a ball buster.
Thanks for the input. I did look in-depth at all candidates. It was a pleasant education. [:)]

·
Registered
461 Posts
What do you all think of Yokohama S. drive? Or Yokohama in general?

Oh! I should have mentioned... My budget is ~$120 per tire
I have the Yokohama S4, and I love them! I have had tires from Kumho & Fuzion mostly before, but also Goodyear for w little while, and I like the Yokohama's better. They look more aggressive, and I think they grip the road better; but I couldn't tell you which other models I have used :( I think they last longer as well, they're not as worn down as my other tires are. They were around $120 per tire, If I remember correctly, at MR. Tire in MD.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
the Eagle F1 GS-D3 is one of the best tires i have owned. i use mine to auto-x on the wet weather days when the slicks are crap. and i have hit big puddles and never hydroplaned. also the tire wear is not an issue. i have put almost 30k miles on mine and still have 5/32 of tread left.

and to top it off they're like 60$ at tire rack. i cant believe this is still a discussion, if i needed new 16" tires i have bought them already.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the Eagle F1 GS-D3 is one of the best tires i have owned. i use mine to auto-x on the wet weather days when the slicks are crap. and i have hit big puddles and never hydroplaned. also the tire wear is not an issue. i have put almost 30k miles on mine and still have 5/32 of tread left.

and to top it off they're like 60$ at tire rack. i cant believe this is still a discussion, if i needed new 16" tires i have bought them already.
Glad to here a user confirming the specs as there posted. Yes, the Eagle F1 GS-D3 is one of the highest rated for wet and hydroplane resistance. I was unsure of the wear though. that can change pretty wildly from driver to driver. And there $56 at Tirerack, and I did buy them. [:)]
Now to get some wheels (I have yet to find any that really trip me trigger ya'know? except for the Rota RB, which are very nice, like the looks etc. but the offset makes me uncomfortable).

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
you wont be disapointed

what is the offset of the rotas? with a 205 wide tire, i would venture as far as 40mm offset. any less will rub, any more is gravy.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thenorm;2426321what is the offset of the rotas? with a 205 wide tire said:
The Rota RB's are 40mm. Buickboy has a set and he told me they line up perfectly with the upper lip of the fenders. Its not so much rubbing, which I don't think would be a problem. It's mostly the thought of all that nasty road trash getting 'sprayed' all over the body (the tire will be outside the fender area for at least 200 degrees by my estimate). Tar, rocks, sand etc. This has been discussed in many threads and I took away that 42mm is the minimum, 45 to 49mm being optimal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts