Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I have recently got heavy into autocrossing with my MK1. I have a no name 16inch wheel wrapped in Ventus RS-3's (205/45/16). The tires have seen better days and I am going to switch to the Potenza RE-71.

Now, the RE-71's have a huge price difference between 205/45/16 and 205/50/16. The 205/50 are $40 dollar cheaper a tire.

My question is, would it be feasible to run the 205/50 and are there any noticeable differences in handling or cornering that I'll see other than the minimal acceleration difference and/or speed in 2nd gear?? Also, why some much less expensive???

FYI, running Koni shocks and struts, and H&R springs, stock diff and gear ratio.

Thanks

·
FUBARCUS
7,767 Posts
Shorter gives you different "gearing". More acceleration theoretically. Your speedometer will off ~3%

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Price difference is like due to volume, popularity, etc.

Taller side wall. Will give you a squisher feeling. As you have more side wall to roll. Have you looked at prices for a 215/45R16? Slightly taller than the 205/45 but wider also. But some don't like pushing a wide tire because again the responce and tire roll.

What prices are the BFG Rival S (also in a 1.5 version) they are suppose to be right with the RE-71's...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Price difference is like due to volume, popularity, etc.

Taller side wall. Will give you a squisher feeling. As you have more side wall to roll. Have you looked at prices for a 215/45R16? Slightly taller than the 205/45 but wider also. But some don't like pushing a wide tire because again the responce and tire roll.

What prices are the BFG Rival S (also in a 1.5 version) they are suppose to be right with the RE-71's...

Im an aggressive driver and I do roll the side wall quite a bit. Should I be concerned or with that going taller?

Also, heard great things about the Rivals. Will a 16x7 wheel hold a 215/45 tire without any problem?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
They make the Rival S 1.5 I a 215/45R16. Tire rack has them at $155 each for that size.

·
FUBARCUS
7,767 Posts
Make sure you have plenty of air in your tires if you are getting excessive tire roll.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure you have plenty of air in your tires if you are getting excessive tire roll.

Yeah, I think that has been my problem. Aggressive driving and low pressure dont mix. What would be the range of PSI that you recommended in dry condition?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Lots of variables, that's hard to say. I would say to to the stock pressure it tells you (34psi IIRC) and put shoe polish on the side and do a run, check to see if you are folding or running. If so, add a few psi, repeat. Just don't go to high to exceed the maximum psi on the tire sidewall.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I have recently got heavy into autocrossing with my MK1. I have a no name 16inch wheel wrapped in Ventus RS-3's (205/45/16). The tires have seen better days and I am going to switch to the Potenza RE-71.

Now, the RE-71's have a huge price difference between 205/45/16 and 205/50/16. The 205/50 are $40 dollar cheaper a tire.

My question is, would it be feasible to run the 205/50 and are there any noticeable differences in handling or cornering that I'll see other than the minimal acceleration difference and/or speed in 2nd gear?? Also, why some much less expensive???

FYI, running Koni shocks and struts, and H&R springs, stock diff and gear ratio.

Thanks
205/50R16 is the stock size.

do you find you are ever running out of gear (at redline). if so, get the taller tire, if never, and you bog too much coming out of corners, get the short tire.

also a 7" wheel will take a 215 just fine.

·
FUBARCUS
7,767 Posts
Yeah, I think that has been my problem. Aggressive driving and low pressure dont mix. What would be the range of PSI that you recommended in dry condition?
Too many variables, to determine as Magnus stated, using shoe polish to check roll and air pressure is a good method.

Every tire likes different pressures. My All seasons like 34-38 PSI in auto cross in the front. My RE71Rs like 30-34 depending on the surface.

If you find that you are still rolling the tire over even with more air pressure, then you are likely over driving the car and also need to add camber to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. This really helps.

Went to get the Rivals in 215/45/16 but TireRack are out of stock and discount tire doesn't carry them. Any recommendation on a decent place online for that tire?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Did you look online or call discount? Call them, discount can order anything it might just take a week or two. I got my Rivals from them 2 years ago and the price matched or did better that tire rack also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts