Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front passenger side tire has sprung a leak,I have owned the car for 8 months,don't know the history of the tires,so I am going to replace all four. Keeping stock size is fine. The tires need to be good in snow and wet pavement,but they will be used year round,and at a decent price. I am also considering new wheels. What kind of decently priced wheels would look good on a white 4 door se? I don't really want to bling it out,just something besides stock. How would black wheels on a white car look if I eventually tint the windows? thanks for any suggestions!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I don't know how much snow you get in Quincy, but I strongly recommend dedicated snow tires. If you do get new rims for your all(three)season tires you will have rims for the snows. I have 17" Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my 05 ZX4, and they are great handling three season tires, very good in the wet, but come December (we have wet snow and lots of ice) I switch to my 16" Michelin X-Ice xi2 on stock rims. That way I can put them on any time, and not have to wait for the backed-up tire stores/service stations the day before a forecast blizzard. Yes dedicated snows are expensive, but the first time your "all season" tires leave you in a ditch, or a snow drift (figure the cost of getting towed out) you will be glad you have them. Also, you can get three or more winters out of good snows, I have two winters on my Michelins, and they appear to be good for at least another three. Good luck!

·
Registered
190 Posts
^^^^^ I have just about the same set up and have been very impressed with the performance.

For wheels, there are a number of different styles to choose from. I really like the Elbrus wheels if you are looking for something of a good quality for year round use. The I02 and I05 are both available in 15'' for your Focus.

For something a touch more stylistic check out the Sparco Assetto Gara. IMO the black, thin spokes are a good complement to a white Focus.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the ideas. I really don't need full on winter tires,we only get one or two big snows a year,if we get too much snow,that is what the 4wd f150 is for. just looking for a tire that will see occasional snow,don't really want to invest money in another complete set of tires.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
[QUOTE just looking for a tire that will see occasional snow,don't really want to invest money in another complete set of tires.[/QUOTE]

I too have two sets of tires but I also understand that a lot of people can't afford and extra set of wheels and tires. In that case, you need a really good all-season tire and the sad truth is that there aren't too many that are even marginally acceptable in the snow. At the top of the list is the Conti Extreme Contact DWS mentioned above. Why it's considerably better than other all seasons with regards to snow performance its still not anywhere as good as a dedicated snow tire. If the Conti's are out of your budget, use this tip when shopping. Look for an all season tire that has an open aggressive tread with lots of fine siping (the more the better). Fine siping (razor like cuts in the tread) are what provide grip on both wet and icy conditions... but one again don't expect any all season to be much more than marginal at best in snow and ice conditions.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the ideas,I do like the rims suggested by miles,but I think for now I am just going to sand my stock rims down to get the rust off of them,paint them black and put the hub caps back on and get new rims next time I need tires.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess i will have to shop around some more,I couldn't find the Conti Extreme Contact DWS for a 15" rim. what are some other suggestions for a good all season tire? I was looking at the firestone indy 500,it has great reviews but I couldn't find a tire size that was even comparable to the 195/60/15 I need.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Bridgestone RE960AS is a steal in this size at $78 per tire. Not the strongest for winter but awesome at nearly everything else. I had a good test drive in the General Altimax HP which is only $69. Pirelli makes a good one too for all season use called the P4 Four Seasons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts