Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been trying to get the most out of my engine, and improve my acceleration so i can at least show up these civics around here and not lag at stoplights. But still not quite were i wanna be. I have these mods as of now, obx cold air with aem dry flow filter, jba shorty header ( i know a svt will get more power but wanna keep car carb legal), greddy ti c exhaust setup with 2 inch piping all the way back and no resonator ( 2 inch is just a little bigger than stock), obx tbs (just for the whistle i got it cheap so didnt consider it a waste of cash), cfm silicone spark wires with brand new denso iridium plugs. What can i do to the engine to help my acceleration and get more power other than changing out pistons, and boring my block, or adding a turbo? anything cost effective is a plus as i dont make too much cash. lmk, and would a tune make a difference? if so where can i get one and how much on average do they cost? I also have ran fuel system cleaners, and cleaned my maf which helped restore a little more power but not a lot.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
I think a tune from Tom is around 300...

This does not add power but helps the Focus re faster would be possibly a light weight flywheel or light weight pulleys... these do not add power but reduce rotational mass allowing the engine to rev faster.

What transmission do you have?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
To improve the acceleration without adding horsepower you should look into lowering the overall weight of the car. Removing the spare and replacing it with a fix-a-flat kit/AAA card, carbon fiber parts, backseat delete, lightweight battery, racing seats, and lighter wheels. You could also take a look into an upgraded tranny mount and upgraded suspension to help put the power down faster.

You could also pull the motor and do a full rebuild, replacing all of the seals, your piston rings, etc. to get the motor back to new quality, but if you'll have it apart anyway then you may as well change out some internals.

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
A tune doesnt add power ????? Sure it does , I am not restricted by the big brother emission laws and can almost always make more TQ and HP then add mods that are not tuned for yet and can add even more TQ and HP

I charge 399.00 and 20.00 for shipping for the sct xcals 3 , full custom tune and FREE tune updates as you add more NA mods

Tom

·
Registered
178 Posts
i have heard around that staying up on maintenance like oil changes and makes sure your air filter is clean can help your car have a little pick me up

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
i hate to tell you this dude but you arent going to make a beast out of the focus with bolt ons. the exhaust you got was a waste of time and money sadly. you might have picked up 1hp from it, not joke. if you want an exhaust power upper you need at least 2.25 inch exhaust and 2.5 inch would be better. the SVT header is still carb legal. hell its a FACTORY EXHAUST MANIFOLD! use the SVT header with SVT cat and flex pipe and they cant say jack squat to you at emissions time. it is a factory ford "header" and will pass emissions just like normal if you have the o2 sensors plugged in and have the cat. the header alone is good for 15whp and that is substantial when the car might make 100-110whp as it is now. the shorty header might be good for 3whp over stock.

as far as making power goes. if you want to whoop some civics and you want to do it on a budget you need nitrous and you need a tune. nitrous is the biggest bang for you buck hp that there is. spend you money in the right places and you could possibly DOUBLE the hp of your car for $1000 or less. a 100-125 shot on a bone stock engine walks off and leaves stock and lightly modified GT mustangs even if the focus has multiple passengers [hihi]. $700 should get you what you need for hardware (bottle, lines, solenoids, switches, safeties, WIDEBAND air/fuel ratio gauge, CFM fuel rail adapter, etc) and then a tune is absolutely necessary before running a big shot. you could run a small shot untuned and be okay if you run a wet kit and run with a bigger fuel jet than nitrous jet, and keep a VERY close eye on your A/F trims.

if i remember correctly tom charges about $100-$150 more for a nitrous tune than he does for a N/A tune and you still get free tune updates for as long as you own the car.

other than nitrous your only options for adding any substantial power involve pulling the head off and getting it ported and decked for better flow and more compression which will require you to run higher octane fuel, will require a tune, and wont be cheap. you could pull the valve cover and take the cams out and replace them with stage 2 cams of some brand of your choosing on a factory head. if you put cams in a ported head i would get the most aggressive cams i could lay my hands on. but once again that can get expensive, requires DYNO tuning to get the cams dialed in and you will have to pay at least $100 for a set of used adjustable cam gears or twice that for a new set.

you could always lay hands on a supercharger too. you can bolt it on to a bone stock engine, tune it and run it for years with no problem so long as you get a good tune. now forced induction tunes (turbo/supercharger) from tom are pricey. methinks it costs $400+ more than a N/A tune but once again you get free tune updates even if you go back to n/a.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i know my exhaust didnt gain much power, but i hate how the magnaflow, borla, and fs werks exhaust all have the tip attached after the muffler and how its not attached to the canister directly i hate how it looks that way. The hks on the other hand looks great but i couldnt afford that setup.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
After reading again I think your right

Tom
That is what I intended. A Tune will add power where the light weight stuff does not.

i know my exhaust didnt gain much power, but i hate how the magnaflow, borla, and fs werks exhaust all have the tip attached after the muffler and how its not attached to the canister directly i hate how it looks that way. The hks on the other hand looks great but i couldnt afford that setup.

Wait... you like the gehto looking exhausts where they cram the muffler at the very back and have to sick it at some weird angle and end up melting half the bumper?... More power to yea.... Any (high quality) Kit... for the focus will put the muffler in the middle and have a tip at the end. if you want the above, you will need a custom exhaust shop to shove something up there... Sorry my personal preference is showing through, I cant stand it when the tip of the exhaust comes out in a "normal" fashion. Not to mention the ground clearance you loose...

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
^^^ yep, its funny how all the higher end vehicles like mustangs, camaros, corvettes, chargers, challengers, etc have the muffler in the middle with the tip at the end even with aftermarket kits. i would be seriously tempted to shoot someone that puts a fart can muffler on one of those cars.

also i believe i could get a HKS look-a-like made at a muffler shop with 2.5 inch or better piping from the flex pipe back for about $100-$120 not including the price of a muffler. hell the shop i have in mind fabricated a custom 2.25inch exhaust with 2 mufflers and dual exit with one tip at either side of the bumper similar to a SRT-4 a few years back for $125 including the cost of in house mufflers. and that was after he told me it was going to be a pain in the ass and i told him to do it anyway. so the HKS look-a-like wouldnt be expensive to do and if that is what you want then i say go for it. to each his own, everybody has different taste. IMO the HKS exhaust does sound really good but i just cant get past the looks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
im thinking for all the money u can get something way better and make it fast and not ruin ur cute lil focus daily driver for the 2k u almost got in the car if u do all these mods i could of built another mk1 mr2 that runs mid 13's or buy another used bike and run 10 and both of those handle amazing stock .. just my 2 cents dont waste ur money on a focus .. cus by the time ur done building it ! the new years civics gonna come out and walk all over u with a stupid fart can ... sadly those japps know how to make good lil cars

·
Registered
144 Posts
wasnt trying to be mean im just saying dont ruin ur focus the focus is an amazing daily and it can be fun but its never gonna be a great race car without TONSSS of money and why spend so much money in ur daily if u can built a funner car for cheaper and still keep ur daily !!

·
Registered
104 Posts
wasnt trying to be mean im just saying dont ruin ur focus the focus is an amazing daily and it can be fun but its never gonna be a great race car without TONSSS of money and why spend so much money in ur daily if u can built a funner car for cheaper and still keep ur daily !!
I agree, the Focus is a great car, as is. If you want something fast just buy a different car or be prepared to shell out major $$$. But what's the point? Racing people around won't get you anything but trouble. Just be happy with what you have, you don't need to show up anybody. Just my $.02

·
Registered
144 Posts
and once again I agree with you but I never race on the streets or to prove to anyone I'm faster but I do love motor sports and I race at my home track with my old mr2 and auto cross to prove to my self the motor and car I builts wired and spent years building is worth is and fun ! ..now that said I do plan on doing springs and shocks on my focus wagon and auto crossing it for fun cus the focus is fun to drive but I would never spend 4k in a car that I paid 2k for ... My 2cent but hey if you wanna throw 4k at a daily drive and probably ruin a good car go ahead you wouldn't be the first I've seen ..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts