Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like it say i am about to replace my starter and just wondering if you guys had any tips for me. its a 02 zetec with a man trans.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Get a Haynes manual!!! Its all in there!! They truly are invaluable!!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fail well not all the way the install went well, took about hour and 45 but went to turn the key and nothing. i so furstrated right now i get power just nothing happens when i turn the key no sounds or anthing and now i am at work untill 8am

·
Registered
433 Posts
When you installed the starter did you reattach the large ground cable to one of the starter's mounting bolts (that go through the bell housing into the starter)? Also check the battery connections and that you properly bolted down the connector that goes to the starter and solenoid.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the cable to the starter is hooked up right and on the positive terminal both cables that go up there are hooked up to the postive terminal in the same spot (if that makes any sence)

·
Registered
433 Posts
There should also be a grey wire running to the starter (this controls the starter solenoid) is it connected? If you have a multi-meter check the voltage between the grey wire to the ground cable while someone attempts to start it. You should see +12V when the key is in the start position.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
everything checked out ok when we put the new starter in, and everything checks out right now by sight but i cant check it with a meter tonight but i will tomorow after noon. also is there anything else it sounds like it could be? i have power going to everything and everything runs fine once i pop start but when i turn the key all the lights come on i push in the clutch and go to start it but nothing happens no noises no anything. any ideas

·
Registered
433 Posts
Other things to check would be the clutch position sensor, the starter relay and of course PATS (If your security light isin't flashing rapidly then it isin't PATS). Do you have a Hanes manual? The starter circuit is relatively simple so you just have to probe along the signal path.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok thanks for the ideas i will try some of this stuff out later on tonight and i will let u know how it turns out

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea so here is the update: I checked everything today all the wires the hook ups the fuses the relays and then I checked it again and everything was perfect then I checked the clutch position switch (that little white thing under the clutch that has to be pressed in for it to start) and yea that was it I pushed it in with my toe and it started right up. I feel like such an asshat for not checking that earlier and spending time and money on a starter. But yea right now I have something rigged up so it depresses all the way and will start for me until I get a new switch I guess it just has a dead spot in it or something. Thank you so much for all you help, once again the Focus Fanatics saved me from wasting even more time and money.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well I'm glad you found your problem. If you like you can just jumper the Clutch Position Sensor. The only drawback is that you have to make sure the clutch is in or the transmission is in neutral when starting or else you will get a car hopping across the parking lot! Temporarily it isint a bad soution.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I thought about it but I don’t trust myself to not end up with a car on the run. So I rigged a wad of paper towel and some tape to the clutch peddle so it pushes the switch all the way in and that seems to do the trick. It just wasn’t working when the clutch pushed it into the normal position it just needed to be pushed a little further, that why I am thinking there is a dead spot. If that make any sense

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks again for all the help but i do have one more ? i have had the new starter in for a day or two now and my start up seem to take a little longer then before and there is a slit knocking sound come from that area. did i install something wrong or is this something that goes along with rebuilt starters? any ideas? i am half tempted to put my old one back in just cause there is nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The clutch position sensor switch can be reset by pulling the switch plunger out slightly. Then, the next clutch depression will reset the switch to the proper position.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I know every starter will sound a bit different... but knocking is not usually a good thing. You could make sure you have torqued all the bolts down correctly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts