Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is tint an interior mod? well, it goes on the INSIDE of the windows, anyway-

i'm looking to get my focus tinted, and i've been doing a bit of research about how to deal with problems not unique to the focus - namely the 'dot matrix' and after searching for a while (a good discussion board BY and FOR tinters can be found here - tintdude.com ) i've come up with a few tips, if anyone has more to contribute, please do. share your tips & experiences, or recommend someone who does good work. here's mine:

1. some say the best way is to paint the dot-matrix area with flat black spray paint. tinters hate to do this because it takes a lot of time and is a pain in the butt, and you have to get the edge perfect where the tint meets the paint.

2. the second best way, as described by the 'new guys' to tinting, is to fill the area of the dot matrix with glue, namely stationery glue called "O'Glue," or gluestick, or elmer's gel glue, or some stuff called "PRO-BOND" which is designed to stick on vinyl graphics. the old-school tinters express concern that this solution will not last, but i say with a lifetime warranty, who cares? (to me, the 'PRO-BOND' stuff sounds like a good deal because it's something they work with anyway and it's not quite so hack-ey)

3. when you call tinters at random, and ask them how they deal with the dot matrix, they're likely to say "you deal with having a white line around your windows, there's not much we can do" (this happened to me 3 times in a row) until you express that you're willing to pay a bit more to have the job done right, and if they don't want to do it right, you'll find someone else who does. that usually changes their tune.

4. a lot of people seem to think that a real alternative is to grind/scrape/scrub/polish the dot matrix off with various sandpaper/steel wool/etc. this sounds horrific to me, and i wouldn't recommend it. there were plenty of horror stories about scuffed windows, discoloration, rust stains, etc.

5. you might ask how they deal with the weatherstripping on roll-down windows. some of the guys on that board expressed... disdain, claiming that instead of taking the whole interior door panels apart or just pry the heck out of the weatherstripping... not good. filling your doors with rainwater is not a good option if you don't want them to rust out at the bottom in a few years.

6. on a different note - the quickest way to make your tint turn purple is to use window cleaner that contains ammonia. Eagle One makes a product called "20/20 Perfect Vision (tm) Auto Glass Cleaner" that contains no ammonia, and i've had good results with it on tinted cars in the past.

that's it. i'm still looking for someone in seattle who confidently claims they can deal with the dot matrix and guarantee their work. when i find one, i'll let you know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had my work done by a place called Gjerdes in the Minneapolis area. I told them to run the tint right over the matrix area. So far no major problems. there are a couple areas where it does not like to stick, but you can hardly see it so i will live with it. I may try a little clear nail polish in the bad areas.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
there isnt much u can do about it, i wouldnt let them put glue on ur windows. sometimes when we tint cars and get complaints about it we add a black vinyl trim to the window. looks ok that way :)

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
When I took my car in to get the windows tinted I didnt even think about the little dots on the winshield and rear side glass. But the tint shop tinted right over it and it looks really good. No bubbles or anything.

·
Registered
966 Posts
When I got my windows tinted,the guy said that it would bubble a bit for a while on the dot matrix and then stick properly and he was right, no problems so far.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i will be getting my windows tinted hopefully sometime next week. hopefully everything works out ok.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i got my friend's mom who is an eye doctor to sign a paper that says i have Photophobia so now i can get like 0% tint and police can't do shit

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Umm, do you have Photophobia ? Are you afraid of light ? And, yes, they can do shit. They can find out your friend's mom forged a prescription and you and her can both be toast.

·
Registered
128 Posts
0%? Think about how hard that would be to drive at night - I'm guessing nearly impossible. Even during the day would be a challange, especially in blind spots.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
so...solaris...
what are you gonna do to do a 0% arround ?
paint the windows pitch black...
i would recommend any black enamel paint to do so...

[hihi]

[slap]

you cant do 0%....
0% means 0% of the light go though...

[hihi]

joel

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm po and I want to save some cash - anyone have luck using the "do-it-yourself" kits for tint?

Is it possible to do a good job by yourself, or do you need to take it in to have it done?

·
Registered
27 Posts
professional swearing

I have installed tint on three of my cars on my own. You'd probably want to get the proper tools (spray bottle, straight razor / "D" shaped razor, plastic squeege, & a rubber squeege) more than likely found at a professional plastics store. I do not reccomend a hardware, pep boys like, two bit, mickey mouse, good for nothin, money monger, keepin' tha' man down, corporation place for tools. It would suffice if you want your car to look like crap was smudged on your windows to keep the sun out. It'd definately keep thieves away from your car because of the smell. I mean, who'd want crap on their hands?

So back to what I was saying, the job will take a few hours depending on how big and how many windows, if they're curved it'll take even longer. If you end up deciding on doing it yourself, have enough instructions from manuals, word of mouth, or internet, And be prepared to have a good afternoon using all the four letter words you know (and even some you haven't) every time you manage to put an extra tear in the edging of your "professional" work. I prefer to have someone swear the tint on for me at a reasonable price from onw on. Good luck, sailor! [headbang]

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah professionally done is a lot better way to go in my opinion. Then it is usually covered by a warrenty and saves yourself a lot of aggervation. I have a lifetime warrenty on mine and I got 30% on my focus, the legal limit in my state.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
my cousins boyfriend had limo tint on his civic but had to remove it cause the cops here caught him so that kinda put me down cause now i cant get it limo. now i have to go with 35% cause thats whats legal here in my state. darn maryland [?|]
i was better off in california[boxface]

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
latest issue of sport compact car (the one with the cop car on the front) is an excellent source for the rules regarding your state's tint laws. they break it down into plain english.

Mike

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tint talk - cool

nice thread! lotsa good stuff (except the trash-talking there for a while... what's with that?)

an update - i guess the window cleaner i recommended was discontinued or something, but i recently found one made by turtle wax -- "turtle wax ClearVue auto glass cleaner" that contains no ammonia.

still haven't found a place i trust to deal with the dotmatrix, oh well i might as well wait until next season now. :p winter in seattle isn't known for being sunny.

my wife's car (she has an SE, i drive a ZX3) - the SE has those tiny triangular windows in the back! i found it tough just to clean them, i can't imagine anyone tinting those. any advice there?

thanks for the good advice.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Yes, the piece in SCC told everything straight up and helped me (finally) find out what my states legal limit is (35%). Does anyone here have any pics of 20% tint cause I wanna know how dark it's gonna be.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
mikeyboy, the back windows CAN be done! my zx5 has the same little windows, and the tint shop did it for me no problem. it just cost about $20 more than it would a zx3 bc of all the extra cutting and whatnot.

ashley, i'm pretty sure i have 20% in back and 35% up front, so be sure to check out my pics that i'm going to post early next week (if all goes well. i'm puttin' in my new purdy suspension!) i'll let you know now, though, that my only regret is that 20% is still not dark enough to match that black ring that runs around the windows. it looks kinda dumb since it almost looks like i tried to go with a two- tone black look, but it's still better than stock IMO. you'll see what I mean when i get the pics up.

a friendly word of advice. according to the tint shop i went to (which has been in the biz for 20+ years and is the main tint man for a lot of high-end dealerships in the SD area), cops really look for two things: 1) they can see what's going on (duh) and 2) the front is lighter than the back. most cops don't know or care what the exact tint level on your window is, but if they can make out what you (the driver) are doing, they don't care. if you tint the fronts lighter (which does NOT look that dumb, people), it shows some effort to make the cops' job easier and therefore makes them quite happy. the tint shop told me that they could go darker than what's legal all day long, and as long as the front was lighter they rarely had a customer come back with a ticket. if they left the front just as dark as the rear (which the shop recommends against), the customer would be back with a ticket more than 50% of the time.

just some friendly advice,

Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts